Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for family WWI medal sets.

DJ222

Hi all, 

If this type of post is not allowed please remove it. 
As the title states, I am looking for the whereabouts of my ancestor’s medal groups.

J.6397 Leading Seaman/Petty Officer Henry James Burnby R.N. I’m unsure what medals he should be awarded to. Either the 1914 or 1914-15 star and trio, as well as a Navy Long Service Medal. He enlisted in 1909 at the age of 15 and served until his death in 1931. - My great uncle.

28152 Farrier Quarter Master Sergeant Henry James Burnby, 10th (Prince of Wales’ Own) Royal Hussars. He should be awarded a Queens South Africa Medal (Inscription probably 2503 FQMS). I am unsure what WWI medals he should be awarded to. He served again with his old regiment in WWI, but he did not leave England.

Any help would be appreciated. Even if it is helping me to confirm what medals I am actually looking for (even if I never find them, I think a nice framed set would look good).

Thanks ever so much, Dan.

Edit as an afterthought, HJB sr. - my great great grandfather - served from 1886-1907 and then 1914-1917 with some time in India. (Would he have gotten a medal for this?

1 hour ago, DJ222 said:

J.6397 Leading Seaman/Petty Officer Henry James Burnby R.N. I’m unsure what medals he should be awarded to.

He qualified for the trio of 1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal. These were issued to him when he was serving in HMS DIDO (for HMS ROCKET) in 1921/22. His LS & GC Medal and Gratuity  were awarded in March 1927 while serving in Portsmouth Naval Barracks (HMS VICTORY).

7 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

He qualified for the trio of 1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal. These were issued to him when he was serving in HMS DIDO (for HMS ROCKET) in 1921/22. His LS & GC Medal and Gratuity  were awarded in March 1927 while serving in Portsmouth Naval Barracks (HMS VICTORY).

Thank you!

7 hours ago, chaz said:

have you tried the BMF,a few Aussie members on there.

I was having trouble creating an account. All fixed now, I will try it. Thanks.

If you belong to the ancestry genealogy website or know anyone that does, you can leave a comment on any of their records (top R/H side of the record page) in the hope it will alert any future sellers or purchasers researching the medals to your interest.

A member of this forum has had sucess via this method.

Travers

Hi DJ222

We do hold a database of medals held by members of the forum, it is a voluntary participation, I have checked and unfortunately nothing is forthcoming…..sorry.

Should you wish to see what we hold, just follow the link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3zp67m999gv7l3/2021 Medals Ownership Master list.xlsx?dl=0

Good luck with your search

John

10 hours ago, travers61 said:

in the hope it will alert any future sellers or purchasers researching the medals to your interest.

Thanks.