The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Driving in France

KIRKY

Can you advice me if I need an International Driving Licence if I drive in France?

tony

• Admin

Certainly wasn’t asked for evidence at the tunnel, I think they’ve got other documents to check…………..I do have one, but I’ve not been asked for it.

Thanks guys as I have a plastic version it seems I do not need one,

Tony

and don't forget to remove/cover your "GB" sticker/registration plate with "UK" - just done mine.  Bureaucracy gone mad.  Wish they were as fast sorting out the pet passports mess!

14 hours ago, Don Regiano said:

and don't forget to remove/cover your "GB" sticker/registration plate with "UK" - just done mine.  Bureaucracy gone mad.  Wish they were as fast sorting out the pet passports mess!

I drove back from the south of France last week. In 1000 km, I saw one car with a UK sticker over the GB, one with a separate UK sticker (where on earth did they buy them?), and about a dozen who either had GB stickers or in around half of the cases, no country sticker at all.

No one was checking anything at all (not even COVID tests or passes). I think the Gendarmerie have better things to do.

However Customs are another matter.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, healdav said:

one with a separate UK sticker (where on earth did they buy them?)

Easily obtainable on eBay.

26 minutes ago, healdav said:

COVID tests or passes

Eurotunnel are now stating (for fully vaccinated travellers): "You do not need to upload evidence of your vaccine status in advance, but you will need to present proof to the border agencies when travelling."  Another potential delay.  As it is still necessary to upload the French declaration of honour, I would have thought that continuing to upload the vaccine pass in advance of travel would have been preferable than having to dig out one's mobile and/or paper certificate at border control to prove one's status.

@healdev tell us about the customs issues please as I hope to travel on 26th of the month

George

• Admin

I travelled out to France on 24th September and returned on 4th October. I had no issues getting my documents checked, my passport stamped or with the documents I had prepared and uploaded; it was a bit of a faff as the rules changed that you didn’t need a test to return to the UK at 4 am on the 4th October and when we did the forms online on the 3rd it was still showing that it was needed. However, at Coquelles, the official who checked us in said everything was in order. 

3 hours ago, George Rayner said:

@healdev tell us about the customs issues please as I hope to travel on 26th of the month

George

British Customs, anyway, are delighted with what is going on. More power to them to harass people. Whether the French Customs are doing anything much I have no idea.

@George Rayner I trust you found that useful.

On my last two trips (July and August) I had no problems with UK Customs.  On the July return trip French Douanes did repeat the x-ray exercise.  It only delayed me about 10 or 15 minutes this time.  On a previous occasion we were held up over 30 minutes and it was a rush to catch the train despite arriving 75 minutes before departure!

Reg