Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I have a secret.

museumtom

• Admin

Exciting news and a great new tool for researchers. 

Oh well done, Tom! What an undertaking, what a generous impulse it was to do this.

Congratulations, Pat

Thank you everyone. Y'know I never started out to do this, I juts wanted to record the local heores around here and then it slowly expanded. It was an honour and privilege to do it and very very enjoyable. I had great help from all the pals here on the forum, without whom there would be a lot of lads missed.

Kind regards and thank you again all!

Tom.

Good news Tom,

Have you included the soldiers in the Irish wills. on line from the National library. You probaly have as your are attention to detail fantastic researcher 

Gerry

When Irish wills came online I went through them with a fine tooth comb, a fantastic resource. When you compare the online version and the CD you will notice a difference between the CD version and the online one as each have some names the other does not. I wrote to the lady who compiled them and gave her my heartiest congratulations on a tremendous database.

Edited by museumtom

Congratulations! I wish I had some Irish in my ancestry so I could use the database, but ancestors I know of are all nothing but English...

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Congratulations! I wish I had some Irish in my ancestry so I could use the database, but ancestors I know of are all nothing but English...

Remember Jane, at one time it was all about, " the pink bits".  :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, museumtom said:

Thank you everyone. It was good to get it off my chest. It was bigger than Margaretnolan and Johnboys secret. As part of, and in connection with the release. All the databases, newspapers, books, etc used to compile the database will be given to Thurles Library to access free in their local studies section. The biggest one of these is the U.S.A. WW1 section. War deaths by state, including date of death, unit and service numbers, unit histories, main units connected with each state etc. The newspapers themselves use up 750gigs. Free to use just drop in to the Library.

Update on release of the database is Sunday November 7th or November 14th. Sorry I thought it would be sooner. It would be lovely to have it available for Armistice though.

Amazing.  You have done sterling work in the field Tom, and have come up with incredible images and Info in answer to some of my queries here. Thank you for your dedication. 

Is there scope for a rollout to other Irish libraries? If so how?

Dave

Tom,     Hobby ?  Mania ?  I like to think superior ability and perseverence.  WELL DONE !   B)

Congratulations Tom, truly a mammoth achievement that you will go down in history as being the prime mover of.

40 minutes ago, bif said:

:thumbsup:

Remember Jane, at one time it was all about, " the pink bits".  :thumbsup:

Mostly achieved by the Scots of course... :D

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

Mostly achieved by the Scots of course... 

D'ya kin ?  

PS

I think that's right said

The Seaforth collector ?  🤗

image.png.358b512ca56df678ec8f9caed96f983d.pngimage.png.8994aedba0e6fb39bc1950216156c8b1.pngimage.png.6202303a150562d73ace315c6384f2ed.pngimage.png.25701ba67e266419b198a9a2cc70806b.pngimage.png.845544e7b25bbcf2445dff9acd8f991c.pngimage.png.a02f5360ce96b5d63ef4a2566b8bffa6.pngimage.png.fcba83dd679b2385a4d732db0c94c010.pngimage.png.ffc4a78ca51cb3225940a4a7798cd89a.pngimage.png.521e02a8a3483d20c07e3cd1dcfca287.pngBooks.

image.png.2dfc30f1349f9dcb08ca58ec251a3d26.pngimage.png.f6d17775523531041eeed64f8e7b33ed.pngThank you kindly Simage.png.9e2a7107ccb8f802b1407da9c4d7c5ff.pngeajane, David, Big, Frogsmile. The database will be online and will be able to be accessed anywhere in the world and the best bit it will be free. The main database, including the U.S. States will be held in Thurles Library. Now they have a digitisation project which they may use. The database is over 700gigs. Below are some of the goodies it contains.image.png.1363d9335ee59f4fa086f52a2b5c1fb9.png

image.png.da867d46df8f1d5a820d7a45f8280109.png

Thank you Tom re Irish wills,

I'm sure you pondered like I did when I came across Bernard Mcgeehan's informal will.

It states Shot for desertion 2nd November 1916

Regards

He was an interesting case sure enough Don.

Below are more in the database. The a to B, C to D, etc are images from Irish newspapers and books of serving personnel. Not all died though. There are just under 30,000 images in total.

image.png.6188eeaf2797f2ca3e117c9ebe5f5d21.png

21 hours ago, bif said:

D'ya kin ?  

Almost right :P

Congratulations Tom.

It's always good to see longtime research projects being shared in some way.

Derek.

Thank you all. Its a pleasure to share.

Thank you so much I wish I’d had access to the site when looking for my relatives from Derry but looking forward to seeing them here! 

Hello Allison. It only covers the 26 counties. Derry, Armagh, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Antrim and Down are not included. This has been covered before.