Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I have a secret.

museumtom

I have a secret, and I am not to tell anybody. Its about WW1 and I cannot tell anyone until it is out in the open, before the weekend I hope, but possibly longer. I hate being told a secret and not to tell anyone, I am getting the shakes. It is going to be great, GREAT I tells ya!, but I have to hold my fire until I have permission to spill the beans.

Dont try and weedle it out of me, my lips are sealed. Don't even thing of trying!........

Dear Tom,

If it is about WWI you have a, well, sort of obligation for telling us!

Don't worry about it getting any further than these cyber walls, we are on your side: WWI is our business, after all. We just want to know...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

No, no, no. Stop that now.....

Kim, its a secret, a SECRET! I tells ya! I hafta stay stchumb. I hafta.

You mean tell just you two? The thing is can I trust you?

Yes, just tell those two Tom - you can trust them...

Secret is out Tom.

As Britain is no longer in the EU they cannot compete in any more WW1s

Mickster

ps just a wild guess,,,dont quote me on it

Edited by Mickster

Close Mickser, it is about WW1 but you are not specific enough.

Pat are you vouching for them? They sound a bit dodgy tbh.

Dear Tom,

I, for one, can vouch for Gardnerbill (aka Frank Sheppard): not a dodgy fibre in his cyber: and did you see what Colonel Pat said about the two of us?

Oh, we would not think of putting Peer Pressure on you - normally. However, when it comes to WWI, hmmmm. You understand.

As Frank so succinctly put it: go on, go on, go ON! You will feel better, afterwards...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I KNOW.

Wars over by Christmas!

Gone and said that word now....

Sorry......

Two countries have had their medals taken off them after failing drugs tests.

Well I see that a great number of the soldiers you put forward to be remembered via the In From The Cold Project have been accepted..so it’s not that!

😊 🤔 

Close as dammit Margaret, but much bigger. Ah, dammit I tell you. The war dead for the 26 Irish counties is being put online free to use. It will include all those I.F.C.P. added, munition workers, newly found graves, the lot. If a dead soldier is in any paper in the 26 counties that article is included, same if he is listed in any book published before 1922. The beauty about this is there is a search box on the bottom of the search page where you can put in a place, or battle, townland, parish, County, or anything you like and if it is mentioned in any of the 31,600 soldiers records or newspapers all those hits will come up. If you only want, say the Galway soldiers etc who died just type in say Galway and you get the lot, no restrictions and no charge.

The database was online today for a few hours, looked great and there was a few tweaks to be done to get it ship-shape, font colours, format of date of death, etc. So it was taken down to update the site. Grrr I was hoping it would be up today.

I am hoping the 6 counties will join us and join their databases to complete the 32 counties. When it is up I will post the url here. 

I told you I could not keep a secret but ye weedled it outta me, feck.

It also includes all soldiers who died between 06/08/1914 to 31/08/1921 no matter what they died from or whether it was connected to service or not.

28 minutes ago, museumtom said:

It also includes all soldiers who died between 06/08/1914 to 31/08/1921 no matter what they died from or whether it was connected to service or not.

Well done Tom, all your years of hard work have contributed to a wealth of new knowledge about these lads.

And having this criterion added, at last recognises many unfortunates who gave their all, and previously got no recognition.

First class job.

Thats an epic achievement Tom. Totally ground breaking, Well done that man

Is it as big as this secret?

BREAKING: MESSI BIDS TEARFUL GOODBYE TO PSG AHEAD OF NEWCASTLE MOVE

Well done Tom, recognition for years of dedication, you deserve it. But enough of the back slapping, what’s the next project going to be now you have time on your hands 😁?

6 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Is it as big as this secret?

BREAKING: MESSI BIDS TEARFUL GOODBYE TO PSG AHEAD OF NEWCASTLE MOVE

Much Bigger

This could well encourage the North East Tom to follow suit. Better still, All together in the same dug out

Mickster

Dear Tom,

See? You feel much better now!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Thank you everyone. It was good to get it off my chest. It was bigger than Margaretnolan and Johnboys secret. As part of, and in connection with the release. All the databases, newspapers, books, etc used to compile the database will be given to Thurles Library to access free in their local studies section. The biggest one of these is the U.S.A. WW1 section. War deaths by state, including date of death, unit and service numbers, unit histories, main units connected with each state etc. The newspapers themselves use up 750gigs. Free to use just drop in to the Library.

Update on release of the database is Sunday November 7th or November 14th. Sorry I thought it would be sooner. It would be lovely to have it available for Armistice though.

10 hours ago, museumtom said:

The war dead for the 26 Irish counties is being put online free to use. It will include all those I.F.C.P. added, munition workers, newly found graves, the lot. If a dead soldier is in any paper in the 26 counties that article is included, same if he is listed in any book published before 1922. The beauty about this is there is a search box on the bottom of the search page where you can put in a place, or battle, townland, parish, County, or anything you like and if it is mentioned in any of the 31,600 soldiers records or newspapers all those hits will come up. If you only want, say the Galway soldiers etc who died just type in say Galway and you get the lot, no restrictions and no charge.

nice one. Look forward to seeing this.