Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred James Jackman

Monkeynuts

17 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Which is within a month of that 1915 record! Does the adress in that 1915 record of 11,Braithwaite Close, Paddington mean anything to you ?

It's Braithwaite Place. Electoral roll shows-

image.png

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/1795/?count=50&keyword=11+Braithwaite+Place&residence=_paddington

Jackman was there as early as 1915 that I can see for now - seems to have possibly been several families in the house.
image.png

Craig

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Near numbers (hard to find

3746, 201798 Harold Ash   enlisted 30/11/15    served 4th Dorsets etc

3777, 201825 Jackman  ...................

3809, 201854 Ernest Cattermole attested  22/11/15 but accepted and joined 29/2/16.   2/ 4th Bn Dorsets

3835, 201877  Alfred Harvey  attested  ...    accepted 21/3/16.                                           2/4th Dorsets

That certainly allows enough time to be discharged and then re-enlist from the June 15 discharge.

Craig

The problem I have is both of them are called Alfred my Grand Father and his Father at one point I thought it was Alfred Snr who got rejected .

11 Braithwaite seems to have stayed in the family for years but as the census only allows you to view up till 1911 it makes it difficult to log people movement .

Ether someone is lying about address or name ?    this needs more research but my prob is no one is alive who could know which makes it more frustrating 

Thanks for helping this far it has answered questions and added more  

58 minutes ago, Monkeynuts said:

Ether someone is lying about address or name ?    this needs more research but my prob is no one is alive who could know which makes it more frustrating 

Why would you think name or address is wrong ?

There's absolutely no reason why he could not have been discharged and then re-enlisted, it was very common.

Craig

6 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

There's absolutely no reason why he could not have been discharged and then re-enlisted, it was very common.

As Craig observes.

Voluntary re-enlistment 1915 or even conscription after 1916 was perhaps possible - as the medical standards were changed/lowered later - even with a SWB under his belt it was possible [and happened for a number of men!]. 

Worth keeping an open mind - and see where the evidence takes you.

:-) M

After doing a bit more reading of the discharge Doc it states that the man had tattoos on both forearms my grandfather did not (photo evidence) also he was a fitter mine worked for the railway as a Carman .The only matches are Name Age and a link to the address .

One big problem I have found is families keep calling their children the same bloody names :lol:

I need to give this more research and look wider into the family 

4 hours ago, Monkeynuts said:

and look wider into the family 

Start with what you know for sure and work back. Your parents' birth certificates- give place of birth and names of their parents. Then go back from there, checking grandparents' marriage certificates etc. Very basic but essential groundwork. Members of this Forum can guide you back to 14/18!

Don't believe Family Trees on Ancestry without checking yourself  ! In fact make sure you have verified all 'facts' yourself.

Bon Courage!

Charlie

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

Start with what you know for sure and work back. Your parents' birth certificates- give place of birth and names of their parents. Then go back from there, checking grandparents' marriage certificates etc. Very basic but essential groundwork. Members of this Forum can guide you back to 14/18!

Don't believe Family Trees on Ancestry without checking yourself  ! In fact make sure you have verified all 'facts' yourself.

Bon Courage!

Charlie

Cheers for the advise .The funny thing is my Grandad to me was a only child but not true he had brothers and sisters .I have no one to ask so its all plodding through records and its been a roller coaster ride .His war records have always interested me and been a mystery with blanks everywhere but this time I wish to solve the problem 

12 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

In fact make sure you have verified all 'facts' yourself.

That is as true of forum posts here as it is with Ancestry trees :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, corisande said:

That is as true of forum posts here

I say, Sir, are you insinuating that I am other than perfect ?

• 6 months later...

I will try and explain this the best I can .

My Grandfather Alfred James Jackman To my belief was in the Dorset's 1/4th and served in Mespot and has the Two War Medals but no Silver Star his service numbers are 3777 and 201825 .

After asking questions on here I followed the advice and found some of the info I was looking for and with that loads of confusion which is :

On the 15th June Alfred James Jackman with correct age and address signed up with the Royal Berks number 18459 and 24 days later was discharged due to being unfit to be a soldier (Heart out of line) short of breath etc etc .

In this document it describes his look which included Tattoos on both Fore Arms ( My Grand Father ) never had Tats as I have photo proof plus he was as fit as a flea worked as a stoker in Paddington Power Station.

So who was this other Alfred ? My Great Grand Father ?? perhaps as he had the same name but his age would have been later 40's .I know people lied about age etc to get in the fight but this just seems so odd 

If I could find the Dorset sign on Docs or even the date he signed would help .

At times I feel I am going to uncover a large can of worms but why ? 

I have a selection of names and numbers around the same as the Dorset ones and have tried to find  sign up dates but unless I am looking in the wrong place it all seems so murky

I had a similar issue initially when researching a Dorsets soldier my husbands grandfather.  We didn’t know what he looked like but had several photo possibilities.  In the end I just eliminated each same or similar name cross referencing to other online documents , birth, census etc until we hit all matching or as near as.  We didn’t know his regt number either nor that he was Dorsets until that cross referencing began.  Slow but fruitful process so I hope you get there. 
What do you know already? DOB? Where born, possibly lived, parents, siblings, job etc.  

Edited by Alisonmallen62

14 minutes ago, Monkeynuts said:

My Grandfather Alfred James Jackman To my belief was in the Dorset's 1/4th and served in Mespot and has the Two War Medals but no Silver Star his service numbers are 3777 and 201825 .

It appears he went overseas after 31 Dec 1915, which explains the 2 medals.

Craig

15 minutes ago, Monkeynuts said:

On the 15th June Alfred James Jackman with correct age and address signed up with the Royal Berks number 18459 and 24 days later was discharged due to being unfit to be a soldier (Heart out of line) short of breath etc etc .

In this document it describes his look which included Tattoos on both Fore Arms ( My Grand Father ) never had Tats as I have photo proof plus he was as fit as a flea worked as a stoker in Paddington Power Station.

So who was this other Alfred ? My Great Grand Father ?? perhaps as he had the same name but his age would have been later 40's .I know people lied about age etc to get in the fight but this just seems so odd 

It's certainly quite possible that it was another family member using his details - the tattoos would seem to make it clear that it wasn't him (it's rare that this sort of confirmation is available).

Can you provide a link to the Berkshire service record ?

Craig

Note two numbers on ancestry and assume you have all this?

8E55556B-8367-4B96-871F-9BD384EBF4EA.png

3C0A5323-26EE-4372-B7DB-16BCAE2D61A8.png

Do you have birth dates for your grandfather and great grandfather?

George

9 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Do you have birth dates for your grandfather and great grandfather?

George

See other threads with all info on it cheers

• ss002d6252 changed the title to Alfred James Jackman

Thanks Craig

Ok Many thanks for all your help :) most of the records people are showing are the easy ones that pop up on most web sites which I believe I have most if not all .

My great Grandfather DOB is 1862-1935 and IF he is who I think he is I can track him till he dies. 

My Grandfather DOB is 3/11/1894 and dies 1966 .

I cannot find many pictures other than my Grandfather in Dorset uniform with Pith helmet and Bagdad printed on the back .I am sure he did serve due to the stories which were told with too many details of happenings but no proof .

At one point I was convinced 100% he did until the Berkshire document came to life which screwed all my beliefs  

I’m not sure this has any significance but on the documents there is a note about wanting to join another regiment.  Also there is a tiny discrepancy in height and girth on the document.  Is it possible 1. father and son tried to join at the same time but the medical officer confused the two men or a clerk did

2. was the medical officer perhaps the same for different regiments that day and the Dorset document might have also had discrepancies

3. Bit of a chancer but possibly Alfred was called to the Berkshire Regt sent his father who was unfit and left Alfred to join a chosen regiment without issue?  Sorry if that is rubbish I can’t think of much else at the moment plus I have covid so not focussing clearly at all really but would love to help you

who did he marry - marriage banns for Alfred, father also Alfred, married Elsie, signature on military and marriage banns the same, different address but a discharged soldier.  Is this just a soldier with the same name clerks mixed up on documentation?

😬

Edited by Alisonmallen62