Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps - Third Ypres

Gus1914

Has anyone seen an online map that clearly shows some of the features associated with Third Ypres?  Where exactly are the Pilckem Ridge, the Menin Road Ridge, the Gheluvelt Plateau, the Bellevue Spur etc. please?

Hi

try using the search function on https://library.mcmaster.ca/maps/ww1/ndx5to40.htm

(I would think most would come in to map #28)

Remember to think laterally and sometimes just use one word for search

Also some war diaries may include maps so depends on which regiment, battalion etc.

regards

Jon

1 hour ago, Gus1914 said:

online map that clearly shows some of the features associated with Third Ypres?

53 minutes ago, jonbem said:

try using the search function on

Gus, I suspect you are better off with the Official History maps if you are wanting a broad view.  If you want the detailed view, do as Jon suggests and either McMaster or the search in tMapper will get you there.  I really like the Official History maps as they give the dispositions, main features and just enough of the contours to see where the ridges and plateaus are.  There are 10 maps like the one below and I could find all of the places you mention on one of these maps, except I had to guess Bellevue Spur is the spur starting NW of Passchendaele and running SW.  If so it's on one of these maps.

Start at page 557 to 566 of the Official History UK Military Operations France and Belgium 1917 part ii.  Until recently this was very hard to get but someone posted a link to the Google Digitised version, for which I am eternally grateful.

image.png.53535e0a546387b5c2f9af59eec60f0c.png 

Thanks gents... Pleased to see that Bellevue Spur is referenced on a Trench Map thanks for that Edward... Yes WSL I'd been looking for that volume of the OH for an age and was very pleased when a copy was found... The map you posted above has the contour lines so that's a good start for me... Thanks...!

Just east of s'Gravenstafel there's a good map by the roadside covering the NZ attack on BellevueRidge, 4th October 1917IMG_6790.JPG.1041a969f740f83a4f2143e75a9dcdfc.JPG

IMG_6792.JPG

And this map from the OH 1915 Vol 1 is good for understanding the ridges.

Cheers,

Richard

Ypres - main ridges.jpg

Edited by Old Forge

On 16/10/2021 at 11:08, Old Forge said:

Just east of s'Gravenstafel there's a good map by the roadside covering the NZ attack on BellevueRidge, 4th October 1917IMG_6790.JPG.1041a969f740f83a4f2143e75a9dcdfc.JPG

IMG_6792.JPG

What an excellent map thank you very much... Are there other maps, have you got a link to the website please...?

Edit:  ***... Far too excited with your find to have read your post properly... You found it by the roadside...!!!

Edited by Gus1914

Hi @Gus1914, yes - pano picture gives better idea. You can see the corners of the info panel. The road leads to the Bellevue Ridge. Above the centre of the wood just right of the road is the spire of Passchendaele Church. The distant concrete building just left of the nearby wood on the right is the visitor centre at Tyne Cot. The village on the left (actually behind if you zoom in and pan) is Gravenstafel.

HTH,

Richard

IMG_6785 (7279 x 1814).jpg

Edited by Old Forge

Here's the same area on mapsheet 28 NE 1, @Gus1914, so the panorama above includes Waterloo Farm left of the road and the infamous Marsh Bottom and Waterfields.

Cheers,

Richard

1403303094_MapGravenstafel.jpg.54fb8e0de6abd2630b51ee38bb955741.jpg