Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIF Blinded Soldiers Association

tamiwell

Hello, I'm researching the life of a soldier who served with the 11th Australian Field Ambulance during the war.  He has very little that has been noted in his military service records, for example nothing at all for the entire year of 1917 apart from receiving a couple of chevrons for his uniform.  After the war he was a member of the Blinded Soldiers Association.  What I would like to know is, if he was a member of this association does that mean that he might have suffered blindness (in some form) as a result of his service?  There isn't anything noted in his records regarding medical treatment in the years 1916-1917 but I have read that gas caused some soldiers blindness?

Thank you!

If you can post his name and any other details as well as 11th AFA, then there are people on here who will be able to investigate further. I don't know the Australian or the Army medical side as well as I would like (better at the Royal Navy) but I'm sure there's somebody else suitable.

Best wishes

seaJane

hi

His medical records should be on NAA - Basic search | RecordSearch | National Archives of Australia (naa.gov.au)

It will be separate to his service records, and may not be online yet.

If not you can apply for it to be open and pay to get a copy.

regards

Robert

• 3 months later...

Without you providing the soldier’s details the best that anyone can do is to speculate. And as it’s been over 3 months since you originally posted, and you have not replied to anyones response, I’d assume you have found your answer.

Edited by Fromelles

Hello,

When I originally posted this query I had hoped someone might be familiar with the operation of the Blinded Soldiers Association.  I didn't post the soldier's name and number because I just didn't want anyone to waste their time checking all the sources I had already checked, eg his military records.  There is no reference to him having been blinded during the war unfortunately.  If anyone can investigate further though, or might understand what criteria the members would have needed to join the association, that would be wonderful and much appreciated. 

His name was:

Edward James Offland

Sadly Edward died young (of heart related problems) and he has no living descendants.

I do appreciate the responses I received, I do apologise for not replying earlier.  The period before Christmas was an extremely busy one for me as I was flat out finishing up the writing and editing of 30 WW1 soldier biographies.  One of the most rewarding things I've ever done.  I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year,

Thank you,

T

With St Dunstan's founded in the UK in 1915 it seems unlikely that there wouldn't be an Australian equivalent of some sort especially as Australians who went home from St Dunstan's would still need support.

You have probably already seen this but the link below is of interest. I had hoped it might mention the BSA or similar but unfortunately it doesn't.

https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/groupstories/9037

Hi

He has 3 records on NAA, see below - the last one may have some information but is not online, but you can pay to get it scanned.

Also have a look through the War Dairy - https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1339236

A couple of things in Trove if you don't have them - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/30490827?searchTerm=Edward James Offland

- https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/59982106?searchTerm=Edward James Offland

Regards

Robert

Select Series no. Control symbol Item title Date range Digitised item Item ID Format
B2455 OFFLAND EDWARD JAMES OFFLAND Edward James : Service Number - 12657 : Place of Birth - Ipswich England : Place of Enlistment - Adelaide SA : Next of Kin - (Wife) OFFLAND Clara Jane
Access status: Open

1914 - 1920 View-record.gif 7996373  
AWM164 201 [Roll of Honour Circulars 1940-1944 - supplementary series - Albert Thomas O'DRISCOLL; David Joseph O'DRISCOLL; Michael Thomas O'DWYER (DWYER); Edward James OFFLAND; George OFFLER; David OGDEN; Alexander Gibson OGILVIE; Henry Michael O'GRADY; William J O'HARA; Edwin Joseph O'KEEFE; John Michael O'KEEFE; William Raymond O'KEEFE]

1940 - 1942   8756832  
D2994 OFFLAND E J OFFLAND Edward James - Service Number - 12657

1914 - 1923  

I cannot access it myself but there is a chance that this article would mention the support received by sight impaired Aussies returning from the War.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/40111483

Might this organisation also have been the 'BSA' (probably more likely to have been the BSR).

https://www.brightonhistorical.org.au/index.php/articles/articles/190-a-helping-hand

Appreciate I am clutching at straws here!

Neil

12 minutes ago, Neil Mackenzie said:

I cannot access it myself

It is actually possible to read up to 100 JStor articles a month online by logging in using the "Alternative access for independent researchers" which appears as a drop-down on the "Log In" option. I don't know if it is restricted to those with a Google account, but that is how I get in. It may be possible just to set up your own account without linking.

I'd read the article myself to find out but a) I'm between courses at dinner b) the print is very small indeed on my phone.

@tamiwell, if you can't work out how to read it yourself let me know.

seaJane

Edited by seaJane