Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tommies in Mossley this afternoon

mancpal

Met a friend this afternoon who minutes before had passed 4 men in Mossley (near Ashton under Lyne) dressed as WW1 tommies (brodies to boot). I've tried local sources to find out what they were commemorating/celebrating. I can't attach todays date to a major event instantly either. Any thoughts?

Simon

• Admin

Might be the nearest convenient weekend to the 13th October 1915 attack at the Hohenzollern Redoubt, but in that case, Brodies would be wrong……..

Haven’t found anything out through the usual channels so may remain a mystery, thanks for your reply.

Simon

Thanks David, I wasn’t aware of this resource either. My late wife would be ashamed of me as she was a librarian in Ashton for over 25 yrs.

Simon

This was posted by Jonathan Reynolds MP on Facebook in the last day or so. 

"Thank you to the Friends of Stalybridge War Memorial for their long walk in period dress this morning to remember the “missing men” who lived locally and fought in WW1 but were omitted from the war memorial. The include Fred, Harry and George, sons of Mrs Marshall of Carr Cottages, Carrbrook, who walked from Carrbrook to Stalybridge to register them for the memorial, to be told they should go on the Mossley one, walked all the way there to be told they should be on the Staly memorial, so walked all the way back to be again told no. A grieving mother whose dearly loved son’s have the ultimate sacrifice for our security, but were not honoured due to bureaucratic confusion. This morning’s walk replicated Mrs Marshall’s desperate journey, and #WeWillRememberThem 🎺 🌺"

There are photos as well

Facebook link =  https://www.facebook.com/Jonathanreynoldsmp/posts/286448223303124

and it appears that Friends of Stalybridge War Memorial have a page on Facebook.

Edited by Hywyn

I dont do Facebook but I drove through Stalybridge memorial on the same day and there where about a dozen people gathered near the memorial, never thought to connect the two. Thanks.

Simon

• 2 years later...

It was the 8th Manchester Regiment 14-18 reenactors doing a route march for raising money for Stalybridge war memorial.