Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berkhamsted School

Simmo

Does anyone live nearby? There is I believe a cricket trophy in honour of my great uncle 2nd Lt ED Clixby who was killed 14/10/15 in the area of the Hoenzollern redoubt. I have tried contacting the school without any success. 

As a boy I attended the school and so now have access to the magazines online. I have searched up to and including 1922 and can see no references to the donation of a cup in memory of Edward Clixby. (When I was a pupil I did look through the magazines to find the background to the cups and recorded where I could their origins for a display but that was long ago!)

The December 1915 magazine lists amongst the "In Memoriam" "EDWARD DENIS CLIXBY, Second Lieut. 4th Linc. Regt. Born October 31st, 1896. St. John's, May 1907-November 1914. Killed in action, October 13th, 1915." Unfortunately he is one of twenty young men who had been educated at the school, became  junior officers and whose loss was recorded that term alone. This helps to bring home the scale of the tragic losses that occurred.

The only other reference I can find to the name is a donation shortly after the war by Mrs Clixby (presumably his mother) to the War Memorial fund.

Edited by JimE
Correction to donor

I came across a ‘Twitter’ link (I don’t tweet though). Possible reference was made to The Clixby Award 2015 - awarded annually.

Jim would the donation have been made by his mother? He was born 31 October 1896 so would have been 18/19 years old.

D9342D6A-F4CE-4A02-80ED-4ED8490BB890.jpeg

1F022C86-F3CF-44FC-A96F-C0A2CD5B6EA1.jpeg

Edited by BarbaraG

Barbara - thank you for pointing out my mistake in originally putting his widow as the donor - it was presumably his mother. I have now amended this.

I have now looked at some of the recent magazines and am finding each year, starting in 2013, a reference in the cricket reports to the Clixby Trophy. This seems to be for the best bowling figures in a match during the season. The Wisden link that you gave refers to Edward as a bowler. 

Edited by JimE

Hi Jim - just a thought, maybe current holder would supply a photograph assuming they retain trophy for a year, bearing in mind crazy Covid times and whether any cricket played. 

(Finding this interesting as a relative played for Notts & England albeit WW2 which interrupted his career.)

Edited by BarbaraG

2 hours ago, JimE said:

Interesting tweets. Unfortunately I do not have any direct contacts at the school

However confirmation for Simmo that The Clixby Award continues to be presented. This week marks the anniversary of his death :poppy:

“He took part in an attack made on the 13th inst., and apparently led his men with great gallantry”

”I know that on one occasion he went immediately to the rescue of another officer in a most dangerous position, who was badly wounded”

”He was a fine soldier, and we shall not get another officer like him; he had, very great influence over us, and he was loved by every man.”

De Ruvigny’s Roll of Honour

Hello to you both I have a positive line of enquiry which I’m following up, may take awhile. Have sent you both a message.

With time difference not sure when Simmo will check messages.

With help from several very thoughtful people I have contact details for the person to help - will be pleased to forward via message.

Barbara

• 1 month later...

Hi Barbara and jim - so sorry I haven't checked in on the thread for so long. I had given up on receiving any more news. However overnight I received an apologetic response from the school giving me the email address of their archivist, so we may be getting  somewhere at last!