Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great coat 1912 (if read well) - interest to understand the story of the coat

Lynkie01

Hello all,

As result of my interest for the great war I tend to travel to the north of France in spring and visit the various sites of ww1. Alongside reading literature on the war I started to get a bit of a collectors behaviour. This to the despair of my family.  I noticed an online advertisement on a great coat and as the price was more than reasonable I bought it as at the price stated a mis buy was acceptable (and as I'm not an expert, very well possible !)

Curious to know if any of you could tell me if the great coat is genuine and in which army/army unit it was used and any additional information you could share that can shed a light on the history of the great coat !

Although the great coat has a considerable amount of stamps I was not able to do any identification based internet searches. Would appreciate your help.

Regards,

LD

back.jpg

front.jpg

stamps.jpg

It is definitely not a British Army Great Coat. My guess is that it is Dutch or German, but I am not very knowledgeable on European uniforms.

High wood, thanks for your reaction.

Good to know it's not British... eliminates the options :). Your remark that it could potentially be Dutch or German made me thinking. Based on a German website that I found I had the small hope that I identified the coat's origin as being "Landsturm". But I think it does not have the correct stamps for the coat to be German nor the right design. So your suggestion that it might be Dutch is an interesting one to explore. Kind regards, LD

You might find @GreyCand @AOK4 able to offer some suggestion.  One of the Scandinavian militaries seems potentially a possibility too.

No idea what it is, but it is definitely not German.

4 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

Appears to be Danish: Civiforsvaret "CF" surmounted by the royal crown of the queen.  See http://combathelmets.blogspot.com/2008/10/denmark-civil-defense-m48.html.

The particular style of lettering with crown over did seem similar to other Swedish/Danish/Norwegian service clothing that I’ve seen so that seems to fit. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

German coats would have BA plus Roman numerals markings, indicating the issuing institution (Bekleidungsamt).

The crossed out KL markings could indicate the condition of the coat, that was downgraded over time. At least that´s how German Bekleidungsämter would mark clothing. But, as was said here, this is no German coat.

GreyC

Thanks GreyC and AOK4 for your usual quick response and clarity of reply.  It’s much appreciated.

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 hours ago, Lynkie01 said:

Dear all, many thanks for your feedback, much appreciated and happy to learn something:rolleyes:!

Based on your suggestions I was able to find a similar great coat on the web. The website describes it as a a Danish M1864 Greatcoat

Regards, LD

There is a TV mini-series “1864” concerning the war between Denmark and an alliance of Prussia and Austria in which that type of greatcoat features heavily.  You have quite an iconic piece of history in Scandinavian terms. 

432F1946-0668-4359-91FB-C8254E001933.jpeg

2FEA61D9-E7C3-43AA-95CB-752B6DBFC244.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for the info Frogsmile :rolleyes:, really happy indeed of having acquired the coat and the tv mini series "1864"is added to my list of series to watch !