Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on ERA p14

bjapette

I was wondering if someone could help with information on a ERA P14 #699012. Is there any online source for markings/stamps/proof marks?

Any help appreciated

Hello - welcome to the forum

I can probably provide the week of acceptance from the inspection files once I get home this evening (so 5 or 6 hours from now unless someone beats me to it)

The inspection marks are basically the standard British view marks and broad arrow acceptance stamp usually on the receiver rail)

Is the rifle a MkI or MkI*? (is there a * stamped on the bolt handle and also on the top of the receiver? (the difference is the size of the lugs on the bolt and the recesses in the receiver)

If the rifle stock is not refinished/sanded/oil soaked/replaced there will probably also be stamping on the right side of the butt.

Pictures are always helpful.

Chris

Hmmmmm well unless I am missing something 699012 is higher than the last recorded accepted serial number (recorded in the Ministry of Munitions file)

I have run into two (I think) previous examples of higher numbers and the source/reason for their existence remains a mystery to me.

The last recorded Eddystone number is 604940

Chris

Thank you Chris!

I suspect it is a Parker Hale "sported" one. It still has the ladder sight as well. At this point I have only limited pictures, only of the markings. I can't remember any on the stock.

20211005_234035.jpg

20211005_234019.jpg

20211005_234113.jpg

20211005_234130.jpg

20211005_234233.jpg

20211005_234306.jpg

20211005_234447.jpg

Follow up question 1/2 regarding Lee Enfields (am checking up three guns...) 

I don't think any of them are J Jovinos.

Anybody know anything about this one?

20211006_142558.jpg

20211006_142243.jpg

20211006_142300.jpg

20211006_142334.jpg

20211006_142404.jpg

20211006_142414.jpg

20211006_142421.jpg

20211006_142500.jpg

No1

The last one is off topic as it is a WWII Australian built No1 MkIII* (as shown by markings on the wrist) - the scope is not original nor is the mount. If you are lucky it might be a no tap mount which will mean the receiver has not been drilled to fit it, but unfortunately it looks to me as though it has been drilled at the front. Look on the right side of this rifle below the safety - there may be a refinish stamp there (perhaps from the 50s) Note this rifle has the later Australian foresight protector with holes milled in it to allow more light to fall on the sight blade.

No 2

The second one is (again as shown on the wrist) a 1917 BSA rifle ShtLE MkIII* standard wartime rifle.

The wooden furniture has been refinished and heavily varnished (originally it would have been a linseed oil finish) It has a mismatched bolt. Interestingly it has an earlier windage adjustable rear sight (although it may be staked in place so check before you attempt to move it or you will shear the adjuster off) It should have a serial number on the underside of the sight.

We know the bolt does not match but perhaps the receiver, barrel, underside of rear sight and foresight protector (on the bayonet boss below the muzzle) do?

The England stamp is an early import mark (country of origin) suggesting it was brought into the US. If you remove the upper handguard (it is just clipped in place and can be carefully lifted off upwards) it should reveal more stamping on the barrel knox form including probably a date (left side) and serial number (right side) which should match the receiver.

P14

Going back to the P'14 -- that is interesting because it has all the govt inspection marks and yet falls outside the range of those documented as being inspected. IIRC the other high number ones I saw did not have the broad arrow and proof stamp on the rail.  It is, as expected a MkI* (see * marks on barrel and bolt handle)

The P14 also carries British .303 civilian proof marks indicating it has passed through the civilian gun trade in the UK at some point.

Edited by 4thGordons

Interesting Eddystone, bjapette.

I used to dislike the p14s & M17s until I received 4 for conservation. Im hooked now. I bought all four. Why 4 ?  2 Eddystones. One is a fat boy.

I think the parkerised finish is sublime. Ive not seen one as stamped up as yours.

Should you wish to kill the high gloss finish on the lovely 1917 BSA rifle ShtLE MkIII* it is easily achieved with very fine wire wool. Dont take it down to the bare wood as I suspect that's already been done prior to the high gloss varnish. I hate to remove any wood, dings and dints. Just rub it to a matt finish and dust it off. A vigorous buff up with a soft clean cloth should bring a more satin lustre more akin to the linseed finish. If not, a waft of spray on furnisher polish will, if you wipe it of fast. 

Mickster

• 2 months later...

I also answered on the other thread.

These pics show the rifle was imported into the US by the now defunct Springfield Sporters (of Penn Run PA)

It is a Pattern 1914 MkI*  (later Rifle No3 MkI*)

The start E stamp on the bottom of the butt indicates that the rifle was removed from storage and refinished to the Weedon Repair Standard (WRS checked over and volley sights removed) in the run up to WWII. This work was done at a number of contractors - yours was done at the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield (E).

Chris