Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert William Day RNAS 1915 -1919

Adrian Francis Dorsey Tucker

My Grandfather was stationed at Woolwich Arsenal working on Le Clerget Aero engines. Later he worked on Airships ultimately the R101.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. I assume you mean F27555 Robert William Day RNAS later numbered 227555 with the RAF.

Steve

1 hour ago, Adrian Francis Dorsey Tucker said:

Sorry, I thought you might know something Ancestry doesn't! Gave them up as useless.

Adrian

Adrian.  It is difficult for us to supply you with information if you fail to give us some idea as to what you are hoping to find.

Your Grandfather's service record is accessible as a free download from The National Archives (TNA).  Steve (hmsk212) has kindly given you his RNAS and RAF service numbers so hopefully you will find the information you are seeking via this.

Despite your brusque reply I have continued to look for information on your grandfather. Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

George

Sorry if brusqueness offends, I'm used to being brief! All I know is what I heard from my mother many years ago. I was hoping to find out when he joined up, where he served, and when he finally left the RAF. Ancestry.com couldn't even find him amongst the many Robert William Day's they seem to have on record ! I'm also interested in the airship connection..

ADE

It appears that the RAF record from Ancestry provided above gives the date when he was deemed discharged 

2049.jpg.597cecffb1b34ccc13de685a3ff887f4.jpg

George

It would also supply the date when he first entered service

1061993529_2049(1).jpg.015b7afe5c1effe0ff257fc62d9cc419.jpg

George

You're welcome. If I find anything else I'll be sure to post it

George

7 hours ago, Adrian Francis Dorsey Tucker said:

I always thought he left 1918 like most did.

Most did not leave in 1918. The great majority were demobilised in 1919, like your GF, some much later than he.

On 05/10/2021 at 19:32, Adrian Francis Dorsey Tucker said:

Later he worked on Airships ultimately the R101.

R.101 dates are well outside the timeframe of the GWF. The RAF record will show where he served with the RAF as an Aero Engine Fitter but before that he may well have worked on airship engines at the RN Air Station Wormwood Scrubs. He spent most of his almost one year of RNAS service there as an Air Mechanic 1st Grade in the Engine Branch.

This link will take you to his entry in the April 1918 RAF Muster Roll  -  http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/day-r.w

The RNAS Medal Roll shows that he earned only the British War Medal (service in UK only), which he never claimed.

Many thanks. I learned from "Bargain Hunt" that Officers were given medals, but other ranks had to apply. Seems unfair.

Mum said he was a Petty Officer. 

As a child I was shown a large photo of an airship with a lot of men in naval uniforms hanging onto the ropes beneath it; there was also an aluminium disc with an airship embossed upon it,, about the size of shilling  I haven' been able to find these so far, may have been lost when we moved house.

ADE

19 minutes ago, Adrian Francis Dorsey Tucker said:

I learned from "Bargain Hunt" that Officers were given medals, but other ranks had to apply.

Incorrect. The Admiralty required that all campaign medals (officers' and ratings') had to be claimed. No claim, no issue.

He was never a Petty Officer.

Edited by horatio2