Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Gallipoli Diary 1915' by Alec Riley

michaeldr

Alec Riley spent four months on Gallipoli before being evacuated sick, but the experience made a deep impression on him. So deep in fact, that not only did he keep a detailed diary of his time there, but he also felt impelled to return. Something he managed in the 1930s, spending days wandering the battlefield alone.

Mike Crane and Bernard de Broglio are working to bring Alec Riley's writing to a wider audience and later this year the first part of that challenge will be achieved with the publication of

Gallipoli Diary 1915 by Alec Riley

This will be followed in 2022 by two further books covering firstly, Riley's pre-Gallipoli time in Egypt, and secondly, his 12 months spent at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, recovering from the various ailments he acquired while serving on the peninsula.

There can be no doubt that this three part saga will be a valuable addition to any Gallipolian's library, enhanced as it will be, by annotations, maps, photographs and biographies from Mike and Bernard.

Something to really look forward to! Register today: https://www.littlegully.com/

Edited by michaeldr

Having been privileged to have had a sneak preview of the text and photos of this book I can say it is going to be a welcome addition to the bookshelf of anyone with an interest in the campaign. 

Definite must have for the Christmas stocking 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2021 at 18:01, michaeldr said:

I am eagerly awaiting the thud on the door mat.

Amazon tell me that my copy should arrive in 10 days or so.

If however you prefer to order from someone else, then Little Gully inform today that 

"New book stores have come on board, like WaterstonesBlackwellsBook Depository and Angus & Robertson."

and

"The ebook is now available from Google Play. Get reflowable text for your ereader plus access to all pages formatted for print." 

Hi Michael 

My copy will be arriving in 14 days or so. The supplier isn’t as quick as Amazon because I gather he’s using a sleigh and reindeer for transport.

Regards

Alan

2 hours ago, alantwo said:

The supplier isn’t as quick as Amazon because I gather he’s using a sleigh and reindeer for transport

Don't forget to hang up your stocking Alan :thumbsup:

Warm wishes to and yours for the festive season

Michael

"Riley’s gem of an account brings alive the silent nullahs of Gallipoli in a vivid, well-written and compelling true story of one man’s war. Highly recommended." This quote is from Krithia's (aka Stephen Chambers) review which is to be seen in full here http://www.redcoatandkhaki.com/our-services/book-reviews/gallipoli-diary-1915/

My copy arrived safe and sound and has provided a fascinating read. Some thoughts on it....

Gallipoli Diary 1915 by Alec Riley

edited by Michael Crane & Bernard de Broglio

first published November 2021, by Little Gully Publishing

This book has had a very long gestation period; it almost certainly goes back nearly ninety years to the 1930s. In its various early forms it was seen and rejected by several publishers and eventually Alec Riley's manuscripts ended up languishing on the dusty shelves of the IWM.

Taken in sympathetic hand by editors Mike Crane and Bern de Broglio, Riley's work is today open to appreciation by Gallipoli enthusiasts around the globe. I have no doubt whatsoever that it will be eagerly welcomed by that audience for its originality and for the clear, frank insights into life at Helles as seen and experienced by a member of the rank-and-file.

The greater part of the book (up to page 200) consists of Alec Riley's diary, as recorded by him between April 1915 and his evacuation from the peninsula to hospital in September. He was an NCO serving with a Divisional Signals Company, and therefore (to our great good fortune) his tasks took him to various parts of the line where he experienced the diverse aspects of soldering on the Helles front in the summer of 1915. The deprivations and the hardships. The loss of close friends and mates. The climate and the flies. The bravery and the calamities.

The gripping narrative is highlighted throughout with informative footnotes from the editors, who must be congratulated on their having adopted the classic foot-of-the-page position for these. Thus allowing the reader a gentle flow, instead of the wearisome flicking back and forth to endnotes at the rear. A further highlight seen throughout, are Riley's own original photographs, and what a bonus they are! Likewise, interspersed with the narrative are fourteen maps, each with a clear, concise set of notes, and so, thankfully, the reader is never left unsure of where he is.

The second part of the book (pages 201-335) is taken up with various appendices, biographies and notes. These pages include articles published by Riley during his lifetime, as well as detailed research by Mike and Bern. They add greatly to our understanding of the signaller's life on Gallipoli, and the lives of those who served alongside him. Included here are such diverse topics as call signs and ration lists.

Finally, there is a beautifully written section where Riley provided notes on aspects of the peninsula which will be of interest to any prospective visitor e.g: weather, flora, fauna, geology and population. Though Riley no doubt originally aimed these notes at 1930s, post-war visitors like himself, I feel sure that reading them today will benefit anyone who is planning a first visit to this beautiful landscape.

Little Gully Publishing has been set up by Mike and Bern to handle what is planned to be a three volume series of Riley's diaries: Gallipoli 1915, pre-campaign Egypt, and post-campaign Netley Hospital. As first-time publishers they have done a remarkable job, producing a volume presented in a very professional manner. First class materials and typesetting, in a good binding, between well illustrated boards, under a wrapper of no less quality. A very high standard, which I hope that the next two volumes will strictly adhere to, because I for one am certainly hooked on Alec Riley and will be eagerly awaiting the arrival of Egypt and Netley!

[I read the hardback version, which was purchased via amazon.co.uk]

• 9 months later...

Yesterday, Little Gully Publishing put out a great article on one of the lesser known features of the Helles landscape: the Mole Hill, or  Karaağaçtepe, or the tumulus of Protesilaos.
From this tumulus Alec Riley had witnessed the advance of the Lancashire Fusilier on 8th May 1915: see page 24 of his 'Gallipoli Diary 1915'.

Follow this link to read the fascinating and millennia long history of the 'Mole Hill':- https://steadyhq.com/en/littlegully/posts/4796b9a4-49e9-428c-bdcb-9f2a551da4d1