Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos from Egypt during WW1?

Huttles94

10 minutes ago, Huttles94 said:

That very well might be true. In fact my Grandfather always said he served the full duration of the war. Now I thought he only served from 1917 due to his diary. Dont know why it never occurred to me that he (Frank) only started to keep a diary after he knew he was being shipped out. 

Looks like he very much served first in the ASC then was transferred to the Essex Regiment. 

But as you say, since records were destroyed during WW2, it very well maybe we will never know the full story.

Alas, I have now learned more about my Great Grandfather and his time during the war. I am still on with clearing my Grandfathers office and who knows what I may find.

Thank you 

I’m glad to help a little.  Come back with anything else that you find.  I hope that you might consider sharing your photos with the wartime memories project too.  It will ensure that the details are kept in perpetuity. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/10/2021 at 22:21, FROGSMILE said:

I’m glad to help a little.  Come back with anything else that you find.  I hope that you might consider sharing your photos with the wartime memories project too.  It will ensure that the details are kept in perpetuity. 

I have found a bit more information. Just going over my Great grandfathers diary (Frank Hutley) and saw that he wrote down some names ect at the beginning. One entry is:

no M/2712Q3 (this could also be M/2412Q3, my reason for this is that when Frank writes '7' it can look like a four. Caused some confusion with his Essex regiment service number at first, but I believe the first is correct) 

PTE F Hutley  

I Company

M.T ASC (Motor Transport I believe)

Hut 6 (the hut he bunked in maybe)

And some other writings I cant quite make out 100%

Here is a cropped photo showing the entry:

fhutww1.PNG.eb090447949bb3505c95c10933bd81fd.PNG

I think I uploaded the diary earlier but cant remember so here it is again, plenty of info in there that I have yet to understand (struggle to read his handwriting!) so if anyone can translate I would be very happy to hear from you!

Frank_Hutley_WW1_Diary.pdf

On 05/10/2021 at 22:21, FROGSMILE said:

Oh and I should add, I did indeed contact the wartime memories project and I sent them all the info and photos/diary I have.

1 hour ago, Huttles94 said:

I have found a bit more information. Just going over my Great grandfathers diary (Frank Hutley) and saw that he wrote down some names ect at the beginning. One entry is:

no M/2712Q3 (this could also be M/2412Q3, my reason for this is that when Frank writes '7' it can look like a four. Caused some confusion with his Essex regiment service number at first, but I believe the first is correct) 

PTE F Hutley  

I Company

M.T ASC (Motor Transport I believe)

Hut 6 (the hut he bunked in maybe)

And some other writings I cant quite make out 100%

Here is a cropped photo showing the entry:

fhutww1.PNG.eb090447949bb3505c95c10933bd81fd.PNG

I think I uploaded the diary earlier but cant remember so here it is again, plenty of info in there that I have yet to understand (struggle to read his handwriting!) so if anyone can translate I would be very happy to hear from you!

Frank_Hutley_WW1_Diary.pdf 9.26 MB · 2 downloads

Yes I agree that the digit is just an unusual  7 rather than a 4.  M.T. actually stands for ‘mechanical transport’ because at that time it covered various forms of propulsion including steam engines rather than just the internal combustion engine.  Interestingly it has never changed and is still officially that even today, although it is occasionally misnomered as ‘motorised’.  It’s good to know that your piece of history is with the wartime memories project.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Huttles,

That won't be a Q.

I suggest its a 0 (zero) with a fleck of dirt/dust overlying it.

His number would thus be M/271203 ( or less likely M/241203).