Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ww1 pair soldier mention in despatches having problem locating details help needed please

warrior1981

Hi all

Could someone help me I have a ww1 medal pair to Harold hepworth sout staffs regiment 27253 he later moved to labour corps 15130.

He was mentioned in. Despatches but I cannot find any information on this. Could someone help me with this please.

Thank you

30850_A000730-01712.jpg

Are you after the why he got it or the London gazette date ?

Hello and thank you for your replies I was after the gazette article which michaelpi has helped with thank you. Is there anyway of finding out what he did to get mentioned at all ?

• Admin
4 hours ago, warrior1981 said:

Is there anyway of finding out what he did to get mentioned at all ?

There may be a mention in local newspapers, but in reality probably the best you are going to get is referring to the 1st Supplement

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31077/supplement/14921

This gives the dates for which these lists named those 'whose distinguished service and devotion to duty' were deemed worthy of special mention between 25th February 1918 and 16/17th September.

You will note there were six Supplements listing the names which would have been put forward by their respective CO and up the Chain of Command. Pte Hepworth's name appears in the sixth and final Supplement.

This was Sir Douglas Haig's Sixth Despatch (The German Spring Offensive) the full text of which can be read on the LLT:-

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/british-field-commanders-despatches/sir-douglas-haigs-sixth-despatch-german-spring-offensives-1918/

The war diaries of the Labour Corps are few and far between and I cannot find that of 258 Area Employment Company at TNA.  Once again the LLT has a list but no mention of 258 AE Company

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-labour-corps-of-1917-1918/area-employment-companies-of-the-labour-corps-in-france-and-flanders/

You will see they were Army Troops and there is a link on the above page detailing their structure and work.

His service record does not appear to have survived.  The Medal Roll indicates he was one of a relatively large number of men transferred from the South Staffs to the Labour Corps (Labour Corps number series 15071 - 16099) .  This suggests he was originally in the 12th (Labour) Bn. South Staffs which transferred en masse to the Labour Corps on its formation in April 1917.  The 12th was in Fifth Army which bore the brunt of the initial German Offensive in March, whether he remained in that Army Group is moot but there are plenty of opportunities for near number sampling.