Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment identification please ...... no clues

Marilyn Jones

Two of the SNCOs are RA. As all the SNCOs have medal ribbons and none of the others have I would guess that it is perhaps an early 1930's photo. Some are wearing lanyards on the left, and some are in mounted order with bandoliers. They have curved shoulder titles. The man sitting immediately to the right of the pots and pans has unusual patterned soles on his boots. My guess would be a TA infantry/yeomanry unit that was converting/converted to RA prior to WW2.

You would need show an enlargement the cap-badges to get a definite answer 

I don't see any RE cap badges there, the crown on the badge is above the wreath and not embedded in it as the RE badge.

The Dorset Yeomanry and the Worcestershire Hussars both have a cap badge that could be a possibility and both were converted to RA late 20's, which fits my earlier guess.

For cap badges and history see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Own_Worcestershire_Hussars#Between_the_Wars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Own_Dorset_Yeomanry#Between_the_wars

I suggest the cap badge of the majority is that of the Worcesterhire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars).  The R.A. Sergeant seated front right is wearing his lanyard on the left shoulder, it was moved to the right shoulder in early 1925. 

13 minutes ago, StonehengeMaid said:

The R.A. Sergeant seated front right is wearing his lanyard on the left shoulder, it was moved to the right shoulder in early 1925. 

However the man sat to his right appears to have a lanyard on the right shoulder, although he is the only one who has.

1 hour ago, StonehengeMaid said:

I suggest the cap badge of the majority is that of the Worcesterhire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars).  The R.A. Sergeant seated front right is wearing his lanyard on the left shoulder, it was moved to the right shoulder in early 1925. 

I agree, Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars. The photo dates from post-1920 when the regiment was converted to the Royal Artillery role.     Pete.

1 hour ago, StonehengeMaid said:

Yes he does but then he is not R.A.

StonehengeMaid you are quite right.

I believe that the man standing second from right is also RA but does not appear to have a lanyard on his left shoulder (his right shoulder is not visible) 

Mostly quite young with just a sprinkling of war veterans wearing medal ribbons.  It looks like a 1920s Summer Camp as Pete has said.  Probably close to the time that the unit was re-roled as artillery.  The Artillery changed shoulder for their lanyards in 1922 if I recall correctly.

Edited by FROGSMILE