Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to research great uncle

Saudirick

I know its a long shot but if anybody could help it would be appreciated.

I am trying to research a great uncle who served in the Royal Navy Voluntary Reserve, well his cap says 'RNVS' in the one and only photo we have of him. His name was Harry Branford and he was from Ironbridge Shropshire. He survived the war but died of Pneumonia shortly after returning home.

I have no service numbers but could anybody help with this research?

Unfortunately, anybody who actually remembers him is long passed

Hi

possible UK, Naval Medal and Award Rolls, 1793-1972 - Ancestry.co.uk

Name: Harry O Branford
Medal or Award: Victory Medal, British War Medal
Service Year: 1914-1920
Service Location: Europe
Campaign or Service: World War I
Service Number: B Z/9753

He spent all his sea service in WW1 - from May1917 to June 1919 - in the Admiralty-hired trawler HMT WALWYNS CASTLE. She was in the Mediterranean from July 1918 to March 1919.

Edited by horatio2

HMT WALWYNS CASTLE was a Swansea-registered boat employed by the Admiralty as a minesweeper:-

WALWYNS CASTLE, hired trawler, Adty No 1774. Built 1913, 255grt, Swansea-reg SA.9. Armament: 1-12pdr gun, 1-7.5in Bomb Thrower. In service 6.15-1919 as minesweeper. Served in WW2.

During Harry Owen BRANFORD’s time in her she was based on HMS IOLAIRE at Stornoway, HMS GIBRALTAR (Shetland) from 27 April 1918, HMS VIVID III (Devonport) from 11 Jun 1918 – probably fitting-out for Med deployment – HMS EGMONT II (Malta for Port Said) from 1 July 1918 and HMS DUKE (Port Said) from 1 March 1919. A month later she was being parented by HMS RESEARCH at the Portland Base, from where he was demobilised.

Edited by horatio2

I see he died in 1921 & within the date criteria to be remembered by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. If his death can be proved to be caused by or attributed to his war service he may qualify to be added to their records & get a CWGC headstone if his grave is not already marked.

Others on this forum are more knowledgable on this than me, and there is also the In From The Cold Project that can help.

Edited by travers61

At first glance, it may be unlikely that a death from pneumonia two years after discharge could be attributable to service. Not impossible , however, so worth enquiring into a death certificate.