Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ettiquete Tips For New Officers...

schooner

Good evening everyone,

Can anyone tell me who would be responsible for teaching new officers promoted from the ranks about the social norms required of them?

Thanks in advance. 

14 minutes ago, schooner said:

Can anyone tell me who would be responsible for teaching new officers promoted from the ranks about the social norms required of them?

Rather than go through the potential scenarios, does your query relate to specific individuals? If so can you give a rough idea of when they were commissioned, which parts of the army and if any of them were quartermasters.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter. I had no particular individual in mind, just a general question about the instruction given about the way an officer was supposed to conduct himself in various circumstances, eg mess life, socializing when the individual had no experience in that strata of society before commissioning. I expect there may have been pamphlets or manuals available if the subject wasn't covered in training.

On 28/09/2021 at 12:55, schooner said:

Good evening everyone,

Thanks in advance. 

It was invariably the responsibility of the battalion adjutant, who was (and still is) responsible, in the round, for the education of the unit’s junior (in rank) officers, regardless of their age.  There are numerous examples of this being exercised in war time accounts, but even before the war Adjutants arranged training in regimental history, regimental traditions, riding (even for infantry subalterns), and foot and arms drill.  

What became different during WW1 is the significant number of officers commissioned from the middle classes who usually had little experience of formal dining, or living collegiately, and so had to be taught the ways of the officers’ mess. This was seen as something of a new phenomenon, because previous experience had only seen former sergeants commissioned as riding-masters (cavalry) and quarter-masters (various arms), who had ironically experienced a lifetime of education in etiquette via formal dining and regimental idiosyncrasies via their membership of and ascension within the sergeants’ mess (not until much later called the warrant officers’ and sergeants’ mess).  

Officers’ messes were (and still are, although it’s gradually being diluted) run like a Manor House, with certain dress required for certain occasions, certain protocols to be observed, and dining “a la Russe” (meals served via a series of dishes and accompanied by appropriate wines).  They started with pre prandial aperitifs and finished with post prandial spirits or fortified wine.  The series of dishes each had their own set of dining implements and often different sized wine glasses.  Regiments regular battalions took especial pride in maintaining these standards as far as was possible even in the field.  

Territorial Force battalions applied their own small variations based on that overall theme, but incorporating the influences too of the local civil society that applied to their battalion’s locale.  Interestingly, war-raised Service battalions were, according to various accounts, slightly more relaxed, in that although they had usually been influenced during their raising and training by old, dyed in the wool retired regulars, these had been long gone after a few years in the trenches, and battalions became more a reflection of a wider British society, and one might see former bankers as commanding officers and former teachers as company commanders.  It was in these circumstances that it was sometimes felt necessary for Adjutants to run classes explaining which knife and fork to use for which course.

Once conscription was introduced in February 1916, the OTCs had the responsibility of training cadets before the age of 18 and-a-half years, whereupon they were recommended for an additional six-months’ training at one of the separate Officer Cadet Units (or Officer Cadet Battalions) that were then established.  Training included PT, bayonet fighting, foot and arms drill, and musketry. Then field craft skills, bombing, gas and map reading, military law and administration, and finally tactical exercises. Also some social training, to handle informal and formal mess nights.  Below is an example 4-month syllabus circa 1916-17 (there’s no mention of social development, which suggests informal training in the evening):

1.     DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITY OF AN OFFICER.

(a)     Importance of subject.
(b)     Mutual confidence.
(c)     Personal responsibility.
(d)     Avoidance of playing to gallery.
(e)     Loyalty.
(f)     Relationship between officers and men.
(g)     Contrast with civilian life. —2 hours Lecture (L).

2.     LEADERSHIP.

(a)     Its meaning.

(b)     How to acquire the art of. —1 hour L. 

3.     DISCIPLINE.

(a)     General. behaviour and conduct of officers.
(b)     Personal appearance — physical fitness — punctuality — saluting. —2 hours L.

4.     MORALE.

Its meaning and importance — Responsibility of officers and N.C.Os. regarding it — Patriotism — Esprit de Corps — Esprit de Brigade — Esprit de Division — Esprit d'Armee. Creation of Esprit de Corps —1 hour L.

5.     ORGANIZATION.

Battalion — Brigade — Division — Chain of responsibility. —2 hours L.

6.     CARE OF ARMS. 

Rifles — Bayonets — Ammunition — Equipment — Smoke Helmets — Clothing —1 hour L.
Iron Rations. —5 hours Practical (P).

7.     DRILL.

(a)     Importance of as means to an end.
(b)     Squad with arms. 
(c)     Platoon.
(d)     Company. 
(e)     Battalion. —45 hours P.

8.     PHYSICAL TRAINING.

(a)     Bayonet fighting —2 hours L., 30 hours P.
(b)     Physical training —27 hours P.

9.     DUTIES OF PLATOON AND SECTION COMMANDERS.

In camp, bivouac, and billets.

(a)     System of billeting.
(b)     Line of march (discipline).
(c)     In the trenches.
(d)     In the attack (as carried out by the lately adopted platoon formation). —2 hours L.

10.     PROTECTION.

Advanced Guard, Rear, Flank, and Outposts. —1 hour L.

11.     PRINCIPLES OF ATTACK NORMAL.

(a)     Organization previous to.
(b)     Distribution of troops.
(c)     Formation with regard to ground.
(d)     Formation with regard to fire. 
(e)     Close communication with the troops on the flanks—4 hours I L. 4 hours 3 P. 

12.     TRENCH ORDERS.

(a)     Absolute necessity for.
(b)     Organization of work. 
(c)     Allotment of hours for watch, work, meals, etc. —1 hour L.

13.     TRENCH WARFARE.

(a)     Organization for an attack from the trenches (using new platoon formation). —8 hours 2 L.
(b)     Supply of ammunition, grenades, rations, water. —6 P.

14.     FIRE DISCIPLINE (combined with care of arms).

(a)     Combination of fire with movement.
(b)     Fire control.
(c)     Description of targets—3 hours 1 L.
(d)     Judging distances. —4 P.
(e)     Use of range finders. 

15.     DEFENCE NORMAL.

(a)     Principal lines of defence.
(b)     Taking up a defensive line. 
(c)     Siting of trenches by day and night.
(d)     Telling off and distributing of working parties. —6 hours, 2 L. 4 P.

16.     DEFENCE.

(a)     Construction of trenches.
(b)     Construction of parapets.
(c)     Construction of traverses.
(d)     Revetting, sandbag, fascine, wire hurdle, and other expedients.
(e)     Construction of splinter proof.
(f)     Loopholes, siting and construction of.
(g)     Sniping posts.
(h)     Listening posts.
(i)     Sapping, principles of. —40 hours 4 L.
(j)     Entrenching tools, use of. —36 P.
(k)     Entanglements.
(l)     Use of telescopes and periscopes.
(m)     Sniping, use and methods to be employed in.

17.     MACHINE GUNS.

(a)     How to fire the Lewis gun.
(b)     Principles of employment in attack and defence —I hour L.

18. GRENADES.

(a)     Description of.
(b)     Handling of.
(c)     Limitations of.
(d)     Use in attack and defence.
(e)     Training of bombers.
(f)     Organization of bombers in attack. Organization of bombers in defence.
(g)     Carrying of. —5 hours 3 P.
(h)     Supply of. —2 L.

19. PATROL WORK.

(a)     Importance of. —2 hours 1 L.
(b)     How to organize —1 P.

20. MAP READING.

(a)     Simple scales and meaning of.
(b)     How to read a map (explain how it should be looked upon as a book and not as a puzzle).
(c)     System of squaring and how to read.
(d)     Compass, variation of, taking of angles. Conversion of magnetic into true-bearing — 12 hours 5 L.
(e)     Setting a map by compass and by other methods—7 P.

21. MESSAGES AND REPORTS.

(a) Official letters and writing of.
(b)     Memoranda.
(c)     Minutes.
(d)     Field messages, methods of writing.
(e)     Verbal messages, limitations of.
(f)     Reports, how to be written.
(g)     Reconnaissance, simple form of. —8 hours 2 L.
(h)     Trench reports—6 P.

22.     COOPERATION OF OTHER ARMS.

(a)     Importance of and methods of.
(b)     Cooperation between staff and regimental officers—3 hours L.
(c)     Cooperation with Artillery.
(d)     Cooperation with Engineers.

23.     ARREST.

(a)     Rules for.
(b)     Telling off and disposal of prisoners.
(c)     Crimes and punishment on active service.
(d)     Field General courts—martial. —2 hours L.
(e)     Army (suspension of sentences) Act, 1915.

24.     INTELLIGENCE.

(a)     Service of security.
(b)     Information.
(c)     Prisoners of war.
(d)     Treatment and disposal. —1 hour L.

25.     G.R.O.

Extracts from secrecy press, discipline, correspondence, etc. —1 hour L.

26. SYSTEM OF SUPPLY.

(a)     Ammunition.
(b)     Supplies. —1 hour L.

27.     BILLET LIFE.

How to care for and get the best out of the men in billets. N.B.—This is a special subject with a very special importance, which was not realized at the commencement of the war. —1 hour L.

28.     SANITATION.

(a)     In trenches, billets, bivouac, line of march.
(b)     Care. of feet, standing orders on the subject.
(c)     Evacuation of the wounded, general principles of.
(d)     First aid, use of field dressing. —2 hours L.

29.     GAS.

(a)     Protection against.
(b)     Attack with.—1 hour L.

30.     REVOLVER.

(a)     Method of using.
(b)     Short course in use of.—3 hours P.

AVERAGE DAY.

6.45–7.30 — Physical Drill.
9.00–10.15 — Drill.
10.30–11.30 — Lecture.
11.30–12.30 — Bayonet Fighting.
2.00–4.00—Engineering (Practical).
600–7.00—Lecture.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, schooner said:

Thanks for the reply Peter. I had no particular individual in mind, just a general question about the instruction given about the way an officer was supposed to conduct himself in various circumstances, eg mess life, socializing when the individual had no experience in that strata of society before commissioning. I expect there may have been pamphlets or manuals available if the subject wasn't covered in training.

From 1916 onwards those commissioned from the ranks in the British Army will have attended an 18 week course with an Officer Cadet Battalion, where the general social rules to be followed appear to have been part of the formal course, judging from some of the pictures available. On successful graduation a man would then be commissioned and posted to his new unit. Obviously regimental \ corps specific traditions may well have been subsequently taught while with a home service unit, but for those who all too quickly found themselves at the front my understanding is that then the adjutant or a more experienced officer may have taken them under their wing to tutor them in any additional social does and don'ts:).

While it doesn't mention social etiquete specifically, our parent site The Long, Long Trail has this on the officer training regime in place from early 1916. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/training-to-be-a-soldier/officer-training-in-the-british-army-of-1914-1918/

Cheers,
Peter

1 hour ago, PRC said:

From 1916 onwards those commissioned from the ranks in the British Army will have attended an 18 week course with an Officer Cadet Battalion, where the general social rules to be followed appear to have been part of the formal course, judging from some of the pictures available. On successful graduation a man would then be commissioned and posted to his new unit. Obviously regimental \ corps specific traditions may well have been subsequently taught while with a home service unit, but for those who all too quickly found themselves at the front my understanding is that then the adjutant or a more experienced officer may have taken them under their wing to tutor them in any additional social does and don'ts:).

While it doesn't mention social etiquete specifically, our parent site The Long, Long Trail has this on the officer training regime in place from early 1916. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/training-to-be-a-soldier/officer-training-in-the-british-army-of-1914-1918/

Cheers,
Peter

I think that the situation did improve somewhat later in the war Peter, and I suspect that there was indeed a little instruction in officers’ mess protocols and behaviour, probably in the evenings, but my firm impression has been that it was necessarily cursory, given the key military subjects that had to be crammed and imbued as a priority (I understand that the syllabus at OCBs was [eventually] far more practical militarily than that at pre war Sandhurst).  I think it was from 1917 onward that the system became better, after the effects of the Somme battles were considered, processed and remedial actions agreed and put into practice.  Certainly I’ve read several accounts from the 1916 period where the standards of junior officers etiquette and demeanour when newly arrived at battalions in the field was severely criticised.

Notwithstanding all that, schooner’s specific question: “who would be responsible” is answered in the figure of the battalion adjutant, regardless of what instruction junior officers might previously have received.  He was responsible for the tone of his battalion.

Lowermost photo courtesy of Queensland University, Australia, photographic archive.

06EAEA3B-A162-4F64-A430-2F3F221190EF.jpeg

726C9E3A-4633-4151-8E08-1F0BD39BEA7C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I guess the interview process would have weeded out anyone who did not have at least nodding acquantance with accepted behaviour standards.

Edwin 

1 hour ago, edwin astill said:

I guess the interview process would have weeded out anyone who did not have at least nodding acquantance with accepted behaviour standards.

Edwin 

In an ideal world yes Edwin, but of course it wasn’t.  There are some accounts of newly commissioned officers who were apparently very short of the most basic social graces, and I was just reading of some NZ SNCOs who were commissioned and sent to join their platoons without attending any course at all, although this was in the lead up to the 1916 Somme battles and it was apparently a needs must scenario.  Of the five SNCO commissioned (at least one was college educated) three were dead within 6-months, one evacuated permanently maimed (at the same action as those killed) and only the fifth surviving as a quarter-master (he had been a RQMS).  For a few I think that there was inevitably at least some degree of ‘who you know’ involved in their selection until the OCB/OTB were properly organised and underway.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi @schooner, another later war teaching aid for new officers was the popular book 'A General's Letters to his Son', published in May 1917 with a foreword by General Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien. FWIW, as well as the Adjutant, the Senior Subaltern was another pre-war 'counsellor' for the newly-joined.

Thanks for some fascinating insights there, @FROGSMILE. Can't help wondering what became of the young men in No 6 Platoon, Pembroke College...

Richard

General to Son 1.jpg

General to Son 2.jpg

General to Son 3.jpg

Thank you for posting that Richard, I imagine that the book’s contents are very evocative of the matters we’ve been discussing.  You’re of course quite right about the personage of the “senior subaltern” in the mess, all good peacetime or home based messes appointed one, as the Adjutant was not always present in the mess, so he frequently appointed an extra pair of eyes and ears.  I didn’t mention the concept previously as I doubt that it was possible to run such a scheme in the line, especially as for the most part company messes were operated, reverting to battalion mess when out on rest.

NB.  Senior subalterns might often be older bachelors who for various reasons had not married, and in some circumstances they might be former rankers, but the beau ideal was a young fellow who had come through the normal route and merely was on the cusp of promotion and had the right mix of qualities to make him a good exemplar and avuncular guide to those his junior.  In some respects rather like the best kind of prefect in a public school.

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 minutes ago, MaureenE said:

The above book, pages posted by Old Forge,  is available online in a 1918 edition, published in USA

A General's letters to his son on obtaining his Commission [by "X. Y. Z."] 1918 Archive.org

Maureen

Thank you Maureen, it’s really cheering that more and more of these old publications that might not ordinarily be accessible are being placed online. 

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you Maureen, it’s really cheering that more and more of these old publications that might not ordinarily be accessible are being placed online. 

Agreed! There used to be a lot of contemporary manuals, pamphlets and books available if you kept an eye out for them in second hand bookshops and antique dealers. Beech's Books in Salisbury was a good source - sadly, it's been a pizza restaurant for many years now. The Army Knowledge Exchange has a lot of high quality pdf's of Great War documents to support battlefield tours and 'Op Reflect' (the 100th anniversaries). I've not checked to see if their collection has made it to the document part of the forum here, but will take a look when I get chance.

Richard

2 hours ago, Old Forge said:

Agreed! There used to be a lot of contemporary manuals, pamphlets and books available if you kept an eye out for them in second hand bookshops and antique dealers. Beech's Books in Salisbury was a good source - sadly, it's been a pizza restaurant for many years now. The Army Knowledge Exchange has a lot of high quality pdf's of Great War documents to support battlefield tours and 'Op Reflect' (the 100th anniversaries). I've not checked to see if their collection has made it to the document part of the forum here, but will take a look when I get chance.

Richard

Thank you for the detail about the Army Knowledge Exchange, Richard, it’s not something that I had heard of until now.  I recall Beech’s Book Shop very well indeed.  I was based in SWW Netheravon at the time and often purchased or received gifts obtained from that once famous old book shop.  Happy memories!

Edited by FROGSMILE

IIRC, in the inter-war period, the Cambridge university OTC bod issued a typewritten summary of what was expected from undergraduates who took an attachment to a battalion etc...I have a copy on disk. Somewhere...

Bernard

Intentional deletion ....... full post moved to "What WW1 books are you reading" 

Edited by TullochArd

• 2 weeks later...

Ralph Arnold's memoirs include a passage (admittedly from 1939) where the Adjutant gathers the newly joined officers together and announces that the Colonel had been shocked, the previous night, to observe that some officers had been in doubt as to which implements to use at dinner, and remedies the deficiency by having the mess waiter serve him token soup, token fish, token main course, token pudding, and token savoury, while the wine waiter went through the motions of pouring sherry, burgundy, port, and brandy.  "I still possess somewhere the valuable notes I made". 

Edited by Mk VII

• 3 weeks later...

I found this thread absolutely fascinating and informative. I stumbled across it because I have a Mess Secretary (Alan Dunbar Leslie) from 1919 who had been convalescing for a year after a serious injury  and rejoined his battalion in Ireland. I was surprised that he was immediately made Mess Secretary, but he had served with the battalion from April 1917 to March 1918, so presumably would be known to some at least of his fellow officers. What were the duties of a Mess Secretary? I presume they were more practical in nature than those of the Adjutant or Senior Subaltern, but was there any overlap? Were there any expected qualifications for a Mess Secretary or was it seen as a bit of a chore?

Definitely a chore @FrancesH! Mess Secretary more recently is a curse that rotates around Battery/Company/Squadron commanders. Duties include running the  mess account (funded through subscriptions raised on mess bills), catering, mess upkeep, and the running of social events (dinners, parties, balls etc). Not life and death, but onerous enough at times.

Richard

Edited by Old Forge

I remember my father telling me that in some WOs & Sergeants' Mess the Mess Secretary would be better regarded in they showed an "unaccountable surplus" in the funds and that an ambitious Sergeant Mess Secretary would put money in out of his own pocket to look efficient and demonstrate honesty.

Edwin

On 05/11/2021 at 15:27, Old Forge said:

Definitely a chore @FrancesH! Mess Secretary more recently is a curse that rotates around Battery/Company/Squadron commanders. Duties include running the  mess account (funded through subscriptions raised on mess bills), catering, mess upkeep, and the running of social events (dinners, parties, balls etc). Not life and death, but onerous enough at times.

Richard

Thank you so much Richard! I suspected as much. 

Unfortunately in this case only three weeks after arriving the new Mess Secretary was given two cheques to pay into the Mess account, one being someone's bar bill, the other a donation to the Royal National Institution for the Blind (mess collection). He paid both into his own account. This was discovered very quickly whereupon he apologised, immediately paid them back and said he couldn't think why he'd done it. Army justice took its course, however: he was court martialled and stripped of his commission and MC. Thereafter his life spiralled rapidly downwards. Leslie was only 20 and had had a very strenuous war. 

1 hour ago, FrancesH said:

Thereafter his life spiralled rapidly downwards. Leslie was only 20 and had had a very strenuous war. 

Vary sad to hear, @FrancesH. He's just as much a war casualty in my eyes as the names on the memorials.

Richard

6 hours ago, FrancesH said:

Thank you so much Richard! I suspected as much. 

Unfortunately in this case only three weeks after arriving the new Mess Secretary was given two cheques to pay into the Mess account, one being someone's bar bill, the other a donation to the Royal National Institution for the Blind (mess collection). He paid both into his own account. This was discovered very quickly whereupon he apologised, immediately paid them back and said he couldn't think why he'd done it. Army justice took its course, however: he was court martialled and stripped of his commission and MC. Thereafter his life spiralled rapidly downwards. Leslie was only 20 and had had a very strenuous war. 

To be fair Frances the duties (which I agree can be onerous) did (do) not all sit with the Mess Secretary.  He answers to the Senior officer and thus head of the mess (invariably the lieutenant colonel commanding the unit, who devolves responsibility for day-to-day running to another officer, the President of the Mess Committee, who is usually a major).  The Mess Secretary acts as the correspondent of communications and usually schedules the meetings and takes the minutes (aka ‘record of proceedings’), but the other responsibilities necessary for the efficient running of the mess are then divided among a committee of equally co-opted members.  

This mess committee arrangement has long been the case and there were other officers (known as ‘members’) responsible for things like the accounts (Treasurer Member - although this responsibility was sometimes combined with that of Mess Secretary), messing (all aspects of food and beverages) and, in the most traditional units, there would usually be a wine’s member (or equivalent) who dealt with alcohol (even in war), as well as another dealing with entertainments, which in war at that time usually involved things like procuring a stylophone, or later, a record player and records.  In more static locations like base camps a piano might be obtained.  Additional members would be added to the committee as required, it was away of sharing out the responsibility for managing the comfort of officers in the field.  Even in the Napoleonic Wars messes were maintained in the field by the committees formed within regiments and a similar arrangement, overseen by the paternal eyes of the adjutant, existed within the Sergeants’ Mess (where the President was the battalion’s Sergeant Major).

Financial probity was viewed rigidly and the quickest way to be cashiered and or disgraced was to handle the finances sloppily or in an opaque manner.  Some very fine officers were caught out in that way historically, including the officer reputed to be responsible for the introduction of khaki to the British and Indian Armies, Lieutenant Lumsden of the Corps of Guides. 

0BE3DD10-2B76-4B49-8596-D801AFC9ACC6.jpeg

05CBF1B3-95FD-42C4-8FC4-58B43302EA04.jpeg

797E1496-D4DF-462F-960D-0C5BA8D215E8.jpeg

4325B058-18E7-4D81-9DAB-CD5ECE141101.jpeg

6865B38F-5C67-4A05-90E3-702A664256AE.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE