Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French books on Verdun

Brusilov

Hi!

I am looking for some books written in French about Verdun. I have browsed through the forums and looking at posts of Paul Hederer. It seems that the only book that still holds up to good standard is "The Price of Glory: Verdun 1916" by Alistair Horne. But this book is said to contain some factual errors.

I have a copy of La Bataille de Verdun, 21 Février - 18 Décembre 1916 by Jules Poirier

It is the only book I have read on Verdun. Do you happen to possess this book?

I am looking for some recommendations.

The best book seems to be that of Hermann Wendt. Sadly, I don't have access to this book right now. What a shame!

If you're interested in accounts and analysis by soldiers of the time, there is a lot of stuff accessible on Gallica/BNF. Some of the hits from a basic search using keyword "Verdun":

Verdun dans la tourmente (Fénelon François Germain Passaga)

Récits et réflexions d'un combattant : Aisne, Champagne, Verdun, 1915-1917 (Louis Hourticq)

Verdun : histoire des combats qui se sont livrés de 1914 à 1918, sur les deux rives de la Meuse (Jacques Péricard, avec la collaboration de plusieurs milliers d'anciens combattants)

You can use the Advanced Search function to narrow down the type of media (book/magazine/photograph/etc) and year of publication.

Péricard is still considered the standard work on Verdun, as far as I have always heard.

The intro of this thread is really messy.

Let me make it clearer

The Price of Glory: Verdun 1916

This is the only full narrative in English. There lacks an authoritative narrative work of Verdun in the same vein as the triology "Stalingrad" of David Glantz in World War 2.

The best book seems to be that of Hermann Wendt.

Hermann Wendt is the best account about strategy and tactics in German, not French. Sadly, this book is very rare and there is no e-book.

17 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

If you're interested in accounts and analysis by soldiers of the time, there is a lot of stuff accessible on Gallica/BNF. Some of the hits from a basic search using keyword "Verdun":

Verdun dans la tourmente (Fénelon François Germain Passaga)

Récits et réflexions d'un combattant : Aisne, Champagne, Verdun, 1915-1917 (Louis Hourticq)

Verdun : histoire des combats qui se sont livrés de 1914 à 1918, sur les deux rives de la Meuse (Jacques Péricard, avec la collaboration de plusieurs milliers d'anciens combattants)

You can use the Advanced Search function to narrow down the type of media (book/magazine/photograph/etc) and year of publication.

Thank you for your recommendation, I will bookmark these items.

That said, I am interested more in a book that describes that battle in details from the point of view of commanders. This is to ensure that I understand the basic orders of battles, the action of the 5th army, troop movements as the battle proceeded till the end.

Only after grasping the general outline of Verdun would I move into reading personal accounts of veterans of the battle.

Edited by Brusilov

As far as I know, there is no such book really. There may be individual memoirs of some generals, but not a general history from a operational/strategic point of view. Or you should then look into the German official history or the French official history.

I second @AOK4's opinion on PERICARD. 

Nevertheless, the following books could be of interest: 

• Antoine PROST & Gert KRUMEICH: "Verdun 1916: une histoire Franco-allemande de la bataille" ... this is necessary reading!! It sees the battle from both sides... brilliantly done!! 
  • Paul JANKOVSKI: "Verdun: 21 février 1916" - have read it quite some time ago and it left me aith a good impression. 
  • Jacques Henri LEFEBVRE & Gustave DURASSIE: "Verdun: la plus grande bataille de l'histoire racontée par ses survivants" - I have that one at home, have not read it completely yet. It's mainly memories and bits and pieces of diaries put together
  • Georges BLOND: "Verdun 1916". That's a great classic... edited in the 60s, so maybe not the most up to date with recent findings but a good book nevertheless. 
  • Alain BERNEDE: "Verdun 1916: le point de vue français" This is a very TACTICAL book... he goes deep into the details of the operations and completely leaves aside any human consideration... good te read but depends what you're looking for. 

browsing through a library you might find a leftover copy of Pierre MIQUEL "Mourir à Verdun"... DON'T ... it's rubbish! as is everything he's ever published. 

hope this helps... 

Marilyne

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

I second @AOK4's opinion on PERICARD. 

Nevertheless, the following books could be of interest: 

• Antoine PROST & Gert KRUMEICH: "Verdun 1916: une histoire Franco-allemande de la bataille" ... this is necessary reading!! It sees the battle from both sides... brilliantly done!! 
  • Paul JANKOVSKI: "Verdun: 21 février 1916" - have read it quite some time ago and it left me aith a good impression. 
  • Jacques Henri LEFEBVRE & Gustave DURASSIE: "Verdun: la plus grande bataille de l'histoire racontée par ses survivants" - I have that one at home, have not read it completely yet. It's mainly memories and bits and pieces of diaries put together
  • Georges BLOND: "Verdun 1916". That's a great classic... edited in the 60s, so maybe not the most up to date with recent findings but a good book nevertheless. 
  • Alain BERNEDE: "Verdun 1916: le point de vue français" This is a very TACTICAL book... he goes deep into the details of the operations and completely leaves aside any human consideration... good te read but depends what you're looking for. 

browsing through a library you might find a leftover copy of Pierre MIQUEL "Mourir à Verdun"... DON'T ... it's rubbish! as is everything he's ever published. 

hope this helps... 

Marilyne

Marilyne,

I highly appreciate your input.

Alain Bernede seems to be what I am looking for.

I plan to have a trip to Washington D.C to have a photocopy of Hermann Wendt book.

This is certainly something I am looking for from the German perspective.

if you want the German take, there's German Werth's book on Verdun: "Die Schlacht und der Mythos"

M.

1 minute ago, Marilyne said:

if you want the German take, there's German Werth's book on Verdun: "Die Schlacht und der Mythos"

M.

Yeah, that book has been recommended to me by Paul Hederer. I would say I will defer until later. 

What is your thought on Alain Bernede's book? Do you find it clearer to understand troop movements in terms of operational maneuvre after reading it?

12 minutes ago, Brusilov said:

What is your thought on Alain Bernede's book? Do you find it clearer to understand troop movements in terms of operational maneuvre after reading it?

To be honest I think I should re-visit it. I noted in my bibliography that I found the book confusing and the operational part too tedious, but I read in some 9 years ago, BEFORE my 2nd & 3rd cycle (that's the two long staff courses here in Belgium, the basic and the advanced "GS" course) and I think that I'd see it differently now that I know what Bde & Div Staff work looks like. plus, I'm a loggie/lawyer ... so tactical infantry stuff is not so easy for me. 

M.

13 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

To be honest I think I should re-visit it. I noted in my bibliography that I found the book confusing and the operational part too tedious, but I read in some 9 years ago, BEFORE my 2nd & 3rd cycle (that's the two long staff courses here in Belgium, the basic and the advanced "GS" course) and I think that I'd see it differently now that I know what Bde & Div Staff work looks like. plus, I'm a loggie/lawyer ... so tactical infantry stuff is not so easy for me. 

M.

You used to serve in the Belgian army? That's fascinating.

Just now, Brusilov said:

You used to serve in the Belgian army? That's fascinating.

still am ... 

1 minute ago, Marilyne said:

still am ... 

Would be interesting to hear from you your reflection on infantry tactics during WW1

Paul Hederer also served in the army for quite some times. I think military officers who serve in modern army will bring insights that are totally absent from the mind of a civilian into light.

It is highly valuable, in my opinion.

Hi Brusilov,

Just coming late into this discussion.

You've already got some good suggestions. I agree with Marilyne about not reading anything by Pierre Miquel and unfortunately I'd say the same about Denizot's book Verdun 1914-1918. General Pétain's 'Verdun' is a decent overview. Bernède is interesting from an organisational point of view.

The book by Lefebvre and Durassié also mentioned by Marilyne is pretty similar to Péricard's mighty work but isn't so detailed. If you go for Pericard and want to buy your own copy, it's worth spending the money on the original edition which covers the whole 14-18 period and not just the 1916 battle. 

As for German, German Werth's book on Verdun is very readable. A fairly recent German addition to the literature is Verdun 1916 by Olaf Jessen. I've also found Verdun by Wilhelm Ziegler useful and interesting.

There's a ton of stuff to be found on Gallica, much of it written by former serving officers, but I'd agree with you that it's better to get a general overview before you start on the details. 

Christina