Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Radnorshire War Memorial

mbriscoe

Does anyone have or know of any decent photographs of the Radnorshire War Memorial (or a names list)?

It comprises boards inside the entrance hall of the Llandrindrod Wells War Memorial Hospital and part of the hospital itself.  Trying to transcribe the boards for the IWM WMR but the images are very poor quality.  I managed to do a lot of the WWI memorial but the WWII one is even more difficult to read from the photographs provided.

Been searching around the usual War Memorial websites but none have it.

MB

I did think about asking the hospital but will leave that until last because I know how busy hospitals are at the moment.

Nowadays you often find someone will go and take a picture of something like that and send it though it might need a proper camera rather than mobile phone.

Pity this didn't get posted a few weeks ago, as I was in the Presteigne area with some free time. I'll see if any local friends know.

Thanks, they might be difficult to photograph and need a series of pictures taken close up.

Surely someone must have taken some pictures of them at some time!

I sent an EMail to the Radnorshire Society to see if they had any ideas.

It might also be worth contacting the Powys Archives and Local History service which is based at Llandrindod Wells. I found this record in their catalogue, although as yet I haven't traced whether they have a list of names or photographs of the memorial.

http://calmview.powys.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=RX39%2fA%2f14a&pos=9

Hello , just picked up your thread on  the Radnorshire War Memorial , i may  be be able to assist you having done much research on the subject although many War memorials exist for both wars throughout Radnorshire (now part of Powys), as you say the names  are listed within Llandrindod Wells Hospital who do  not have details on the names listed. 

A list for the WW1 Period exists but i have not seen or heard of a list for the second world  war period but have details for all the WW1 Period and a lot  of the second world war period 

What exactly or you looking for ? after yrs of research i can confirm Powys archives have nothing i am also based in Llandrindod Wells 

Just a list of names (preferably in order as on the memorial) for WWI.  IWM WMR only transcribe what is on the memorial, which in this case is the place of birth or residence (not clear which) and the name.  I can go over my attempt at transcription and correct it.

A clear image of the WWII memorial would enable to me to correct that also. 

It is strange that no images around but suppose it is because they are inside the hospital though in a public area I believe.

I have noticed quite often that there have been clear images of both WWI and WWII memorials but no one has bothered transcribing the WWII one!

Hi , i can supply you with a handwritten list , of the Hospital memorial , this list is in order as it appears on the Hospital memorial this list was written by Nurse in the Hospital some time ago it gives surname  , initial and place of residence of both WW1 AND WW2  . But please bear in mind this list is not official 

i may have some photos somewhere but i will need to check  PM me