Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1921 Census (E&W*) - some info. on updates etc. [NOT SEARCH QUERIES]

TGM

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

I wonder if that means they're going to keep the individual pricing for that long ?

Perhaps they will see how the high the uptake is. Given the cost I suspect that there will be a few deals offers from FMP in a few months time

1 minute ago, ilkley remembers said:

Perhaps they will see how the high the uptake is. Given the cost I suspect that there will be a few deals offers from FMP in a few months time

Hopefully.

Craig

13 hours ago, MaureenE said:

The 1911 Census was "supposed" to include all British Army personnel in India, but there were certainly omissions, both for individual soldiers, and I suspect for regiments. I assume the 1921 census will include similar omissions.

If you check out The National Archives    Census catalogue  information for regiments in India, you should be able to determine whether there is any information for the regiment of the soldier you are interested in, or whether the whole regiment has been omitted. If an individual soldier is missing, perhaps there has been a transcription error.

Maureen

Thanks Maureen

Peter

I'm a happy camper so far. A surgical strike pulled five pages for Int Corps, GHQ BAOR which will keep me going until I get to Kew and/or prices drop. 

The first 10 names of ORs throws up 3-4 not previously identified as Int Corps; two of the 10 are regulars who were captured in 1914 and spent the war as PoWs - presumably acquiring German in the process; and three marriages to German women - that's surely above average, and presumably German language again plays a part, along with the relative freedom enjoyed by Int Corps NCOs. All grist to the mill.

25 minutes ago, QUEX said:

surgical strike

When accessing a barracks or school, does one get a one liner or that page or the whole barracks for 3.50 ?

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

When accessing a barracks or school, does one get a one liner or that page or the whole barracks for 3.50 ?

In my experience-  if you paid the transcription fee (£3) - you just get information relating to that man. If you pay the image fee (£4.10) you get the full page with details of other men. (You cannot navigate to the next page to see others in the unit). 

The second time round, I thought I would just purchase the image and save myself £3. But the image contained just a list of name - So I had to purchase the transcription anyway to find out the name of the battalion and the location they were stationed at. 

Edited by Jervis

11 hours ago, Jervis said:

In my experience-  if you paid the transcription fee (£3) - you just get information relating to that man. If you pay the image fee (£4.10) you get the full page with details of other men. (You cannot navigate to the next page to see others in the unit). 

The second time round, I thought I would just purchase the image and save myself £3. But the image contained just a list of name - So I had to purchase the transcription anyway to find out the name of the battalion and the location they were stationed at. 

Hi Jervis,

I made the same mistake first time round. I purchased the image with the list of names and then purchased the transcription. HOWEVER, when you purchase the image of the names it also includes more images - if you do this then you will save some money: -

1201245746_ScreenShot2022-01-08at1_39_09pm.png.1c023c016b80cbf7e6565079415abd53.png

884375078_ScreenShot2022-01-08at1_40_08pm.png.749f86c7158fd8ac91d03e6a81a11923.png

1277733225_ScreenShot2022-01-08at1_41_32pm.png.5a88a0176782545359d642b09d41d70a.png

18 hours ago, Jervis said:

???

Not something I have tried to do [look at military records] = are the fees different [more expensive than other ones at £2.50 and £3.50 respectively] ?

M

Same price, for army records, but you get a page as per Redcoat’s images above, with other soldiers on it.  I think, I have found my Grandad, forename and middle name back to front, date of birth out by 2 years.  But place of birth correct, Chichester and Royal Engineers in Curragh Ireland where I expected him to be, just need to check the Field Company against his service record.

Mandy

12 hours ago, RedCoat said:

Hi Jervis,

I made the same mistake first time round. I purchased the image with the list of names and then purchased the transcription. HOWEVER, when you purchase the image of the names it also includes more images - if you do this then you will save some money: -

Thanks for pointing that out Red Coat - much appreciated. 

6 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

???

Not something I have tried to do [look at military records] = are the fees different [more expensive than other ones at £2.50 and £3.50 respectively] ?

M

Sorry - the fee was in Euro's, I thought I was being quoted pounds. 

6 minutes ago, Jervis said:

Sorry - the fee was in Euro's, I thought I was being quoted pounds. 

Ah, that would explain it - what a difference the Irish Sea makes! ;-)

M

15 hours ago, RedCoat said:

-

1201245746_ScreenShot2022-01-08at1_39_09pm.png.1c023c016b80cbf7e6565079415abd53.png

884375078_ScreenShot2022-01-08at1_40_08pm.png.749f86c7158fd8ac91d03e6a81a11923.png

1277733225_ScreenShot2022-01-08at1_41_32pm.png.5a88a0176782545359d642b09d41d70a.png

Thanks - great info.

A few questions if I may [hoping you/someone has answers]:

• Do you know if a service number are provided for rankers?
  • If an initial rather than a forename is provided in the transcription - is the full forename(s) by any chance provided? [I'm thinking the answer will probably be "no"]
  • Are birthplaces by any chance more full than those transcribed/seen in a search [I'm thinking the answer will probably be "no"]

Possibly on a variable basis ?? - I can only hope.

Struggling to find a chap who is thought to have been in the RAF.  Full name is known. Heaven knows what number or where stationed! But a fairly specific birthplace is known.

Reluctant to spend so much at the moment on a highly speculative/limited transcribed record.

So in hope that any answers you can provide may be more positive, or perhaps more encouraging to have a punt with a more realistically better chance!!

M

21 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

A few questions

earlier on it was stated that exceptionally a zealous orderly may have inserted service numbers but they were not required. I'm hoping the illustrations posted by Redcoat above which provide full names etc are valid for all military census returns.

Hi,

A couple of probably irrelevant observations from me.

I appreciate that this has been a commercial undertaking by FMP, but if the records are free to access at a couple of 'government' 'hubs', how does that fit with the 'leveling up' agenda, and not discriminate against people that don't have ready access those facilities?

I might be wrong, but a couple of years back I think that the 1939 Register was a bolt access (or PAYG) record set with FMP, for which they charged extra , rather than being bundled in with other records as a package. I seem to recall, that under some pressure from their members, it wasn't too long before they changed their approach.

I know that research inevitably means that you have to dip you hand in your pocket, but just asking.

Regards
Chris

14 minutes ago, clk said:

I appreciate that this has been a commercial undertaking by FMP, but if the records are free to access at a couple of 'government' 'hubs', how does that fit with the 'leveling up' agenda, and not discriminate against people that don't have ready access those facilities?

I agree 100% Chris.

Craig

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

It would be nice if all records had the service numbers but I bet we're not that lucky.

Craig 

I have downloaded three 1921 Census returns and none of them have Service Numbers. 

No service numbers on the image I downloaded.  Full names shown..

Mandy

13 hours ago, clk said:

Hi,

A couple of probably irrelevant observations from me.

I might be wrong, but a couple of years back I think that the 1939 Register was a bolt access (or PAYG) record set with FMP, for which they charged extra , rather than being bundled in with other records as a package. I seem to recall, that under some pressure from their members, it wasn't too long before they changed their approach.

I know that research inevitably means that you have to dip you hand in your pocket, but just asking.

Regards
Chris

I take your point, but I'm not sure that calling it discrimination is quite fair. We can't really expect that there will be one of these "hubs" within a reasonable distance of everyone.

Thanks for your replies.

This is not a search enquiry as I know this is not the thread or place - an observation = I am in a pickle here.

Though I know the full name of my man, with multiple forenames, the search index transcription has just a single [part matching/first] initial thus only X Xxxxxxx

And his birthplace is only given as a large city and not a more specific part of that.

The record I am looking at the search index transcription for is for Acol,Thanet,Minster,Isle of Thanet,Birchington - I think this is likely to be for RAF Manston.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

14 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I take your point, but I'm not sure that calling it discrimination is quite fair. We can't really expect that there will be one of these "hubs" within a reasonable distance of everyone.

I agree. It makes a change for something like this to be accessible in West Wales for free. It's only 38 miles from me.

Could make a day of it - drive to my nearest railroad station and go by train.
Except my nearest station is Clunderwen, 18 miles in the other direction.
A train to Aberystwyth from there takes 7 hours (via Cardiff, Hereford & Shrewsbury).

I'm not sure yet that levelling up means extending HS2 to Cardiganshire.

20 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I agree. It makes a change for something like this to be accessible in West Wales for free. It's only 38 miles from me.

Could make a day of it - drive to my nearest railroad station and go by train.
Except my nearest station is Clunderwen, 18 miles in the other direction.
A train to Aberystwyth from there takes 7 hours (via Cardiff, Hereford & Shrewsbury).

I'm not sure yet that levelling up means extending HS2 to Cardiganshire.

Why not have a nostalgic trip to Cardiff (taking a moment to remember the days when you could go to rugby matches) then fly to Heathrow (changing in Dublin).

Kew is just a short hop from there. And the bonus is you could fly Ryanair. 

Nothing to do with the Great War, but I splashed out and downloaded the details of my grandparents from the Census. Nothing too unexpected except that my maternal grandfather and family (including my mother) were on holiday in Ramsgate on Census night.

I repeated the exercise for my wife's grandparents, only to discover that her paternal grandfather and family (and her father) were also on holiday in Ramsgate that night.

The families did not know each other, but did come from different areas of South London.

Martin

12 minutes ago, tootrock said:

Nothing to do with the Great War, but I splashed out and downloaded the details of my grandparents from the Census. Nothing too unexpected except that my maternal grandfather and family (including my mother) were on holiday in Ramsgate on Census night.

I repeated the exercise for my wife's grandparents, only to discover that her paternal grandfather and family (and her father) were also on holiday in Ramsgate that night.

The families did not know each other, but did come from different areas of South London.

Martin

Ramsgate in April? You must come from hardy stock...