Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1921 Census (E&W*) - some info. on updates etc. [NOT SEARCH QUERIES]

TGM

10 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/articles/360002794117-how-do-i-report-a-record-error-on-findmypast-

I’m not sure if the facility is available to non-subscribers I’m surprised it hasn’t crashed yet I will wait for all the publicity to fall away.

Thanks for the link for corrections [I'm similarly surprised!] And yes, probably best to wait a while.

Can you also 'tag' with an alternative(s)?  Edit: I see it makes reference to adding comments so it seems it is/may be possible - whether those are searchable/findable remains a mystery to me - will have to check if my local library access allows that for general FMP records - and as for the 1921 Census = ???]

M

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Searching for 'Army pensioner' in the 'advanced' option as an occupation gives almost 5000 results. Could be useful for checking if someone received a pension.

Putting in a female forename will give almost 200 results.

Regards,

Alf McM

1 minute ago, alf mcm said:

Searching for 'Army pensioner' in the 'advanced' option as an occupation gives almost 5000 results. Could be useful for checking if someone received a pension.

Putting in a female forename will give almost 200 results.

Useful feedback for the future!

Thanks for posting such a handy tip - we await many more from you [and other members] ;-) :-)

M

Of my list of soldiers there were four I really wanted to find. I’ve found three of them, quite easily, the one I didn’t find was David Davies from Wales! 😀

Margaret

4 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

the one I didn’t find was David Davies from Wales! 😀

Is he one we've previously discussed Margaret?

12 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Is he one we've previously discussed Margaret?

It is, Dai. I bought two other David Davies. 

I have gotten more information on him but I need to gather it together and I will. The Wales areas just confuse me altogether!

Margaret

1 hour ago, Margaretnolan said:

Of my list of soldiers there were four I really wanted to find. I’ve found three of them, quite easily, the one I didn’t find was David Davies from Wales! 😀

Margaret

He's there, right next to Jones...

I haven't done a proper look at any names yet,

Craig

Putting 'war widow' as an occupation gives 175 results.

'disabled pension' gives 814 results.

'disability pension' gives 113 results.

'ex soldier' gives 3512 results.

Regards,

Alf McM

46 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Putting 'war widow' as an occupation gives 175 results.

'disabled pension' gives 814 results.

'disability pension' gives 113 results.

'ex soldier' gives 3512 results.

Regards,

Alf McM

Interesting. A more in-depth look will need deep pockets, unless you want to wait 12 months or so.

Craig

5 hours ago, RedCoat said:

You should try their chat function on the website, usually found in the bottom right hand corner. Works well for me when I need to chat with them.

Have subsequently revisited FMP and somehow managed to find, and used, their Chat - and very helpful they were too.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

Have subsequently revisited FMP and somehow managed to find, and used, their Chat - and very helpful they were too.

M

What did they say about corrections ?

Craig

10 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

What did they say about corrections ?

Not completely sure as the chat was very interrupted and I've lost the transcript [and have not yet found the more general solution] however when I provided the Chat with a search link with a clearly erroneous indexing they looked at the specified image and offered/said they would/had reported my corrected index/transcript version on my behalf.  Now waiting to see if it happens - have no idea when other than "it might be a few days".

M

Edit: have subsequently purchased the image and my suspiscions and correction were fully justified.

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

2 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Not completely sure as the chat was very interrupted and I've lost the transcript [and have not yet found the more general solution] however when I provided the Chat with a search link with a clearly erroneous indexing they looked at the specified image and offered/said they would/had reported my corrected index/transcript version on my behalf.  Now waiting to see if it happens - have no idea when other than "it might be a few days".

M

Good, so it sounds like they're at least collating them.

Craig

It looks like the "Corrections" team are going to be busy - the first two names we searched for both had errors.  We know what is correct, so not too bothered if they take months to put right, as long as they eventually get entries updated (once they've set up the feedback system!).

1 minute ago, Interested said:

It looks like the "Corrections" team are going to be busy - the first two names we searched for both had errors.  We know what is correct, so not too bothered if they take months to put right, as long as they eventually get entries updated (once they've set up the feedback system!).

Doesn't bode well for speculative searching when trying to find a person, though.

Craig

Will soldiers serving in India be included? I have looked for one who was almost certainly there but he doesn't turn up anywhere.

Peter

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:
3 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

Margaret

He's there, right next to Jones...

And Williams ;-)

M

36 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The Cwmsychbant man?

Yes that’s the man. I have him at that address on the 1911 census.

• TGM changed the title to 1921 Census (E&W*) - some info. on updates etc. [NOT SEARCH QUERIES]

Another BIG question - How do you find the full address once you have found a name?

I have an image for a name but can't see the relevant address.

???

M

11 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Another BIG question - How do you find the full address once you have found a name?

???

M

Scroll to next page. Arrow on right. 

Peter

10 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

???

M

The FMP site says that you'll get a bundle of images for the entry - one of which is the address page from the schedule.

Craig

4 minutes ago, petwes said:

Scroll to next page. Arrow on right. 

B-hell! The site has dropped me [I went left before you replied] and I can't now get it - will I have to repay/pay further?

M

Edit: Phew, panic over - managed to back up in my browser to find it after all. :-) 

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

2 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

B-hell! The site has dropped me [I went left before you replied] and I can't now get it - will I have to repay/pay further?

M

Look in your images under your account and I'd expect it'll be saved.

Craig