Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1921 Census (E&W*) - some info. on updates etc. [NOT SEARCH QUERIES]

TGM

1 hour ago, Jervis said:

But will the troops & other crown forces stationed in Ireland be included in the census? 

There was no civilian census in Ireland in 1921 for obvious reasons. 

Even if the military were included the census, there is a strong chance the names are obfuscated. Much of the military personnel in the 1911 Irish census are identified only by their initials. 

It would be very interesting if they were included. 

I am assuming if you are a soldier in the British Army in 1921 you will be included in the census.  I hope so as this is were, I am expecting to find my grandad in Ireland.

Mandy

Edited by mandy hall
Clarity

In the short term the considerable reduction in the number of computer terminals at Kew might prove to be an error. I can't recall how long FMP kept the premium cost for the 1911 census, but I suspect that the 1921 one will remain  costly for an absolute minimum of 18 months maybe longer.  Given the proportion of the population living within say 90 minutes daily travel of Kew, and that London residents of a certain age also get local rail travel FOC, I anticipate an increase in footfall that might well require the reintroduction of more terminals.

If it is £2.50 for every record transcript and £3.50 for every original record image, what information will be given with a (free) search on Findmypast?

Martin

Edited by tootrock

If other censuses or 1939 register are similar you'll get:

Surname, forename/initials, DOB, address, borough, county.

Otherwise seems you need a pro subscription at £159.99 pa then pay £3.15 per original image.

TEW

• 1 month later...

📣 @UkNatArchives tweets mention:

Regional hubs to offer free online access to 1921 Census of England and Wales from 6 January 2022.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/regional-hubs-to-offer-free-online-access-to-1921-census/

The two regional hubs are Manchester Central Library @ManCityCouncil  and

National Library of Wales @NLWales

2 hours ago, RussT said:

Do you have to use their PC terminals or can you take your own tablet/laptop etc and login at those premises?

Russ

I haven't seen this specified, but in my view, the "special access" would only be installed on "official computers", so you would not be able to use your own tablet/laptop. In practical terms I think the public access will be limited by the number of "official computers" available. Perhaps there will be a booking system with limited time available per person , depending on demand.

• Admin
25 minutes ago, MaureenE said:

I haven't seen this specified, but in my view, the "special access" would only be installed on "official computers", so you would not be able to use your own tablet/laptop. In practical terms I think the public access will be limited by the number of "official computers" available. Perhaps there will be a booking system with limited time available per person , depending on demand.

That would be a shame.

Seems like they sort of want to help in making it more accessible whilst at the same time less so !!

• 3 weeks later...

So, I looked up my Great Grandfather in Ireland and to my surprise he was included on the Census return. Although it doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, it does indicate that he was likely attached to HQ 1st Battalion Devonshire Regiment at the Infantry Barracks Waterford. I can see this being a very valuable resource for tracking down soldiers who served in Ireland in 1921. 

3 hours ago, RedCoat said:

So, I looked up my Great Grandfather in Ireland and to my surprise he was included on the Census return. Although it doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, it does indicate that he was likely attached to HQ 1st Battalion Devonshire Regiment at the Infantry Barracks Waterford. I can see this being a very valuable resource for tracking down soldiers who served in Ireland in 1921. 

It should bring a whole raft of questions and (hopefully) answers to lots of different people.

Craig

Is the 1921 Census available through a FMP suscription or just at £2.50 for a transcription and/or £3.50 an image of the original?

If only for individual hits this could get very expensive for me!

Getting to Kew or one of the other two free locations [at Manchester Central Library and National Library of Wales I believe] would be expensive too.

???

M

5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Is the 1921 Census available through a FMP suscription or just at £2.50 for a transcription and/or £3.50 an image of the original?

If only for individual hits this could get very expensive for me!

Getting to Kew or one of the other two free locations [at Manchester Central Library and National Library of Wales I believe] would be expensive too.

???

M

It's only 'pay as you go' at the moment (I do think some sub types give a slight discount).

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

It's only 'pay as you go' at the moment

:-( That's what I had deduced.

Next question - How do you get corrections to indexing & transcriptions made?

The very first record I looked for had errors in the listed index and presumably the transcription [Not yet seen the original image but I can perhaps potentially understand - but I think it may need correction]

???

M

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

:-( That's what I had deduced.

Next question - How do you get corrections to indexing & transcriptions made?

The very first record I looked for had errors in the listed index and presumably the transcription [Not yet seen the original image but I can perhaps potentially understand - but I think it may need correction]

???

M

I had a quick glance at the search index for some relatives and I can see errors already as well in the transcription.

As to correcting them, not a clue yet how to do it.

Craig

7 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

FMP don't [yet?] offer much of a solution - and a long wait on their telephone line listening to questionable music eventually resulted in being involuntarily cut off!

:-(

M

You should try their chat function on the website, usually found in the bottom right hand corner. Works well for me when I need to chat with them.

47 minutes ago, RedCoat said:

You should try their chat function on the website, usually found in the bottom right hand corner. Works well for me when I need to chat with them.

Yes, earlier looked for that but couldn't see it.  Wonder if you have to subscribe at a more than just registered with them level to see/use it ??

M

On 30/11/2021 at 22:02, MaureenE said:

From the NA Website today:

"You will be able to access the Census via the on site computers, on site tablet devices or your own device (e.g. smartphone) while you are connected to the Wi-Fi in the dedicated 20sPeople zone."

Presumably "your own device" includes laptops.

Martin

On 30/11/2021 at 21:00, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Interesting!

NLW is an hour's drive from me.

I have just had an e-mail from the NA promoting the 1921 Census. It explains that it can be seen for free at the NA, and also the National Library of Wales and Manchester Central Library.

However, the websites of these last 2 institutions make no mention of the census (as far as I can see),so perhaps best not to rush over there just yet!

Martin

• Admin
1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

I had a quick glance at the search index for some relatives and I can see errors already as well in the transcription.

Craig

The FMP Facebook page has turned off comments on transcription error posts.

Their moderators state “errors need to fed back to support or an error report fora transcription error submitted”.

How to do this is on the FMP Help and Support page FAQ - first question 

I doubt you will get a quick response.

Just now, kenf48 said:

Join the queue I expect.

Craig

13 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Not on Facebnook but cannot understand why.

Their moderators state “errors need to fed back to support or an error report fora transcription error submitted”.

How to do this is on the FMP Help and Support page FAQ - first question 

Is that just Facebook as I couldn't see it in regular FAQ

I doubt you will get a quick response.

Just join the [long] queue.

• A further question - Even if a correct transcription of an incorrect entry = How to tag with the correct details? [and will this need to be backed by evidence? And if so how?]

Still, something much better than nothing :-) - provided you can afford it. :-/

M

Edited by Matlock1418

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Not on Facebnook but cannot understand why.

Is that just Facebook as I couldn't see it in regular FAQ

Just join the [long] queue.

• A further question - Even if a correct transcription of an incorrect entry = How to tag with the correct details? [and will this need to be backed by evidence? And if so how?]

Still, something much better than nothing :-) - provided you can afford it. :-/

M

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/articles/360002794117-how-do-i-report-a-record-error-on-findmypast-

I’m not sure if the facility is available to non-subscribers I’m surprised it hasn’t crashed yet I will wait for all the publicity to fall away. I’m on the highest level subscription and still have to pay, I think the discount was 20% - not impressed