Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

270736 Cpl Septimus Edward Potts, 1 / 1 Northumberland hussars M M

Scottman

I  am  researching   Cpl  Septimus   Edward   Potts   who  won   the  Military   Medal   on  March  27th  1918  while  serving  with  the  5th  Army  Signals  at  Hamel  ,  his  M M   was   in  the  London   Gazette   on  July  27th  1918  . he  was  serving  with  the  1/1  Northumberland   Hussars   and  must  have  been  attached  to  the  5th  Army   Signals .   He  has  2  service  numbers  on  his  Medal  Index  Card   1612  and  270736  would    it  possible  to  determine   when  he  enlisted  from  his  1612  number ,  and  any  help  about  his  service  and   why  he  would  be  attached   to  the  5th  Army  Signals   in  1918   would  be  very  much   appreciated   ,  Alan 

Hi Alan,

Surviving papers show:

1588 Birkett - enlisted 25.1.1915 (transferred to Royal Navy Reserve [Trawler Section] in 1916 - i.e prior to renumbering)
1597 Forsyth - enlisted 25.1.1915 (discharged 21.1.1916 - i.e before renumbering)
1612/270736 
1613/270737 - Rainbow enlisted 25.1.1915
1619/270742  -  Scurr enlisted 25.1.1915

They appear to have initially served with the 3/1 Northumberland Hussars.

Of the Northumberland Hussars the LLT (link) says:

"3/1st

Formed as a Third-Line training unit in February 1915. Moved to Gosforth Park and later to Stocksfield-on-Tyne.
Summer 1915 : affiliated to 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at York.
Early 1917: absorbed into 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth.

In the 1917 renumbering of the Territorials, the Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry issued numbers from the block 270001-275000. Corps of Hussars.".

Regards
Chris

Edited by clk

Many  thanks  Chris  ,  I  appreciate   your  help   ,  when   other  ranks  papers  have  not  survived  , its  difficult   to  research   a  soldier  that  only  has  been  awarded   a  B W M  and  Victory   Medal  ,  Alan 

I  have  checked  the  diary   for   1916  for  any  mention   of  him  ,  but  will  now  check  1917  and  1918 ,  his  recommendation   for  the  M M  is  in  the  book  The  History   of   the   Northumberland   hussars   1819 - 1923  by  Howard  Pease  ,  in  the  recommendation     it  says  he  was  attached   with  19  soldiers  at  Hamel  and  it  was  for   in   action  on  March   27th  1918  ,  thank  you  Ivor   for  the  war  diary  entry   for  his  presentation   of  the  M M  ribbon ,  much  appreciated 

Ivor  I  forgot   to  say  in  my  previous   message  to  say  he  was  the  senior        N C O  with  the  19  soldiers   on  attachment   to  5th  Army  Signals ,  on  his  M I C  he  also  served  with  the  Corps  of  Hussars 

24 minutes ago, Scottman said:

in  the  recommendation     it  says  he  was  attached   with  19  soldiers  at  Hamel  and  it  was  for   in   action  on  March   27th  1918

Was this quoting his official MM citation?

There  is  no  citation   in  the  London   Gazette     only  the  usual    entry   ,   number  name  and  town  ,   so    I  think    Harold  Pease  must  have   had  access  to   some  papers  and  recommendations    for   the  Northumberland   Hussars   

What exact wording does he state for his source of the 'recommendation'? It is strange that his MM index card does not mention attachment to the 5th Signals.

It may have been that the situation warranted a temporary role as a 'runner'?

I  only  have  a  photocopy  of  the  page  with  recommendation   for  his  M M  ,  on  the  same  page   there  is  2  more  recommendation 's  for  M M 's  I  am  borrowing   a   copy  of  the  book   on  Thursday   so  hopefully   will  know  more