Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help interpreting Naval medal rolls - Sgt William Albert Fowler, Ply 13261

JonnyH

I have previously only researched army medals of family members, but recently discovered a relative who had served in the Royal Marines from 1905 until his death with the 2nd Royal Marine Battalion of the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division near Thiepval the day after his 30th birthday.

I have found him on the Admiralty medal rolls, but need help in interpreting some of the entries. I do not know what "Univ. Leg." refers to and also would be interested to know what I. C. 3253/1917 refers to.

image.png.b9e74cdcc00005287a21e281bfb8bce8.png

I believe this is "universal legatee".  This indicates that the man was deceased and the medals sent to whoever was mentioned in his will as n.o.k. 

1 hour ago, JonnyH said:

would be interested to know what I. C. 3253/1917 refers to.

It refers to the 'Index Casualty' number in the Naval Records for Wills and allowed reference to the Legatee named in the Marine's Will. For Marines who died in service, the year of death usually conforms to that given in the suffix [1917 in this case]. For Marines who died after discharge, the year given in the suffix usually indicates the year of the medal claim.

14 hours ago, JonnyH said:

relative who had served in the Royal Marines from 1905

I'm assuming you found his service record? https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7820981

In case not, it is available for free download after a brief registration procedure that doesn't commit you to anything else.

Righto!