Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peter Pan

Bert Heyvaert

dear pals,

For a museum related project I am looking for a picture of George Llewyn Davies, second Lieutenant King's Royal Rifle Corps, 6th Bn. Rifle Brigade, who died in Ypres salient 15/3/1915 and is buried at Voormezele Enclosure nr. 3

George Llewyn Davies was the boy who stood as a model for the well known fictional figure of 'Peter Pan'. Unfortunately he died in the First World War. The friends of the IFF museum are planning a special remembrance. I am very sorry that this is quite short notice, as the remembrance is planned on the 90th anniversary of George's dead, this tuesday. If you think you can help us out, you can reply on the forum or drop us an e-mail at stedelijke.musea@ieper.be.

Thank you very much,

Bert

I have been looking for a long time myself Bert. Apart from the picture on the website which was mentioned I didn't found anything.

Erwin

Forgot to tell. I have also researched the unit's war diary in the National Archives for the days of his death. But wednesday is very soon, I am afraid I will not manage to get in the documentation centre before that day.

George Llewyn Davies was the boy who stood as a model for the well known fictional figure of 'Peter Pan'.

He was only one of the brothers who stood as a model for Peter Pan. It is commonly accepted that Barrie modelled the character of PP as mix of all the brothers.

It was George who said as a young boy :"dying should be an awfully big adventure". A visionary thought!

Other sources claim that some of his other brothers were more prominent as a source of inspiration for Barrie. I think it is a bit depending on how interesting the researched person is for the researcher.

Sorry for not posting all the previous in one message.

Erwin

No worries Erwin, Roos was just desperately looking for a picture, which she has now, thanks to the joined efforts of the Baker pals :-;

Ever tried contacting the Regimental museum for more info? It's just a wild guess but sometimes they hold a real treasure of information.

See you in Ieper,

Bert

Have you tried the KRRC Chronicle for the year in question?

WW2 KRRC Chronicle's have an obit. for every officer that was killed in the year in question. Most of these have photos. I assume that this would also have been the case for WW1.