Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Rifles medal trio

Gallipoli

Hi all, I recently acquired a WWI medal trio and tag belonging to a WWI soldier from 1 Royal Irish Rifles, however there are discrepancies with the surname with a letter E missing from the surname as shown on the star, is this unusual or any reason why? Some records have the name McQuaid others are McQuaide. Any help greatly appreciated, photos below with the soldiers details / medals:IMG_20210920_110457.jpg.e826d7fed3e689ca520672d900b7cb9c.jpg

IMG_20210920_110516.jpg.9f566717cf4ddfaa7bb714e93f6b7b38.jpg

IMG_20210921_104857.jpg.1cd79ca70efde4961e6c66f61e45c2e4.jpg

Edited by Gallipoli

Many thanks folks, greatly appreciated. Is it unusual or common to find letters missing from medals? Also is there anywhere I can possibly look or research where this soldier lived or was born? 

Thanks

Edited by Gallipoli

Hi,

Nice Trio!

Its perfectly normal to find naming discrepancies on medals, human error for any number of reasons, spelling errors on the medal rolls etc all contribute. I have about 20 groups in my collection, I would say 3 or 4 have spelling errors on the name.

Cheers
RC

Also served in the Labour Corps

First name(s) J
Second service record Soldier Number: 410457, Rank: Private, Corps: Labour Corps
Last name McQuaide
Image link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D3879314
Year 1914-20
Country Great Britain
Service number 9815, 410457
Medal type British Army Medal Index Cards, 1914-1920
Second service number 410457
Archive reference WO372/13
Rank Private,Private
Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
Second rank Private
Record set Britain, Campaign, Gallantry & Long Service Medals & Awards
Regiment Royal Irish Rifles, Labour Corps
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Second corps Labour Corps
Subcategory Medal Rolls and Honours
Service record Soldier Number: 9815, Rank: Private, Corps: Royal Irish Rifles
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

A fine set of medals - He qualified for the 1914 star with the 1st Bn. RIR as inscribe on the star (Ancestry image):

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 12.18.59.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

A James McQuaid, aged 7, was in Nazareth House Orphan Home, in Ballynafeigh (Ormeau Area) of Belfast in the 1901 Census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ormeau/Ballynafeigh/1208836/

It says he was born in Belfast: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000705411/

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thanks very much everyone, I wasn't expecting all this information and it is great to have to put with the medals. Really appreciate it, above and beyond my expectations, was just hoping to find where he was born / lived. So all of this is great to have.

Thanks again everyone 👍🏻

Edited by Gallipoli

A birth search on irishgenealogy.ie has no birth entry in Belfast in 1892-1894. The closest to Belfast was this in Tandragee (date fits age 7 in March 1901):

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 12.58.20.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thanks Ivor, this is interesting too. I don't live to far away from Tandragee which is something I may be able to follow up with local county records.

Thanks again