Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown WWI item of equipment - Relay?

Gallipoli

Hi all, new to the forum but been on before as a visitor. I was meaning to put this up many months ago but never got round to it. I have a wooden cased brass piece of WWI equipment that I am hoping someone can identify and tell me more about. It had the military broad arrow stamped at various locations, but very little else to go on. Please see photos. 

Any help greatly welcomed.

IMG_20210423_131754.jpg

Another angle, outer box also has white stencilled letters SD and inner lid a little leather holder stamped RELAY VALVE (key no longer present)

IMG_20210423_131752.jpg

It is a Royal Gun Factory gyroscope for an early (most likely a Whitehead) torpedo, circa 1900. There should be some RGF and other markings on the brass work.

Thanks very much 14276265, you are the first person to identify this item and yes there is another number to the top. Thanks also Terry, I presume this is an unusual item / survivor?

Please see additional photos below:

IMG_20210423_131740.jpg.feb0f0f0b2dc61a4c54f30bff57ec8a3.jpg

IMG_20210423_131744_1.jpg.662c147e2633fbe1939d9626df346e63.jpg

Edited by Gallipoli

The W&C monogram identifies it as a Whitehead & Co build (not RGF as some were), with the 2360 being its serial number. It is a very nice find, especially in its transport box.

Edited by 14276265

Thanks 14276265, I was unsure what it was hence my post. Had asked quite a few people and collectors, however never got an answer. You nailed it straight away. It's a nice bit of engineering that is for sure. The box a little battered and top lid broken but held on with sellotape. Still all there though, apart from the relay adjuster. 

Very interesting to see a WW1 example. About 8 years ago a Folkestone fisherman brought a similar object into my militaria shop and asked me to identify it. I found out it was the gyroscope from a WW2 German torpedo and the fisherman had pulled it up in his nets just off the White Cliffs. The German version was much taller and more complex (as you would imagine).

That's a really great find. I'm sure a few museums would love to have one like it.

• 2 months later...

I don't have a stake in this conversation but feel strongly enough to make a comment. How amazing and incredible the breadth of knowledge is on this forum, and that individuals bother to inform and educate us masses. Its a great piece, interesting and now identified. Nothing to do with Imperial German MG :D but would love to know some more as even torpedos in WWI must have been quite a science!

Mark

A number of patent documents relating to Whitehead torpedoes (& their gyroscopes) can be found  and downloaded from https://worldwide.espacenet.com/  (Search for Whitehead torpedo then filter by selecting the names which contain Whitehead from those available under 'Applicants'  using the filter option)

NigelS

Edited by NigelS