Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for information on soldiers killed in the village of Eecke

Augustin

The refs I gave for shelling in Eecke:

108 Field Ambulance. 4/7/1918. Billeted in Eecke, area shelled during the night, some artillery horses killed in the field next to our transport.

I'll include a cropped screenshot of this one. Generally I can't start uploading page after page as the topic will get locked for breaching 'look ups'.

Full diary available for free from TNA, register and download.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354010

618760689_Screenshotfrom2021-09-2212-12-01.png.8bac2bfb5735046afc57ece583403e45.png

Image courtesy of Ancestry

It simply serves to show that the enemy did shell the area so other injuries or deaths are possible.

TEW

Edited by TEW
Hadn't finished yet!

Another possible diary of interest.

76th Infantry Brigade billeted in Eecke 21/10/1915 - 20/11/1915. Whole brigade training, sports, entertainment etc.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14053008

8th Novemeber 1915.

Between Eecke and Steenvoorde. Demonstration of a new smoke helmet tool place. During the demonstration a British plane came down in a field close by, pilot and observer both killed. I think these are these two men. Buried in LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY.

TEW

Only that it's Between Eecke and Steenvoord. The battalions taking part or watching the demonstration may tie it down better.

TEW

Pilote George Greeves
Royal Field Artillery
Sous-lieutenant Charles William Gordon Britts
East Surrey Regiment
Sergent Childs
East Surrey Regiment
Pilote Reginald Coombes
Royal Field Artillery
Soldat John O'Brien
Suffolk Regiment
Caporal suppléant James Fuller Pilch
Norfolk Regiment
Sergent Arthur Walker
Royal Fusiliers

CWGC soldiers buried in Steenvoorde in there may be victims from Eecke
I am trying to find their death notices if anyone has any information please let me know
thank you

Augustin

2 hours ago, Augustin said:

Caporal suppléant James Fuller Pilch
Norfolk Regiment

Lance Corporal 14581 James Fuller Pilch, 9th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment is recorded in Soldiers Died in the Great War as having "Died" on the 5th November 1915 - so that means anything other than Killed in Action or Died of Wounds.

Unfortunately doesn't look like his service record has survived.

According to the Battalion War Diary, they went back into trenches on the 2nd November and were holding the line Forward Cottage, Mark Lane, Lavender Hill, Euston Road..
The War Diary records one other rank killed on the 4th November 1915, but the only entry for the 5th is "Very quiet" and the 6th, "Quiet".

The only thing I've found for him in the local newspapers held at the county archive was a couple of In Memoriam notices from the edition of the Norwich Mercury dated Saturday 9th November 1918.

PILCH. – In ever loving memory of our dear son, Lance-Corporal James Fuller Pilch (9th Norfolk Regiment), of Guist, who was accidentally killed in France whilst bombing, November 5th, 1915.

“Yet again we hope to meet him,
When the day of life is fled.
There in heaven we hope to greet him,
Where no farewell tears are shed.”

From his loving Mother, Father, Sister, and Brothers, and Brother Arthur in Mesopotamia.

PILCH. – In ever loving memory of my dear brother Lance-Corporal James Fuller Pilch (9th Norfolk Regiment), who was accidentally killed in France whilst bombing, November 5th, 1915.

“Fondly we loved him, he is dear to us still.
But in grief we must bend to God’s Holy Will;
Our sorrow is great, or loss hard to bear,
But Angels dear Fuller will guard you with care.”

From his loving Sister Lucy and Brother-in-law Jimmy.

I have only picked up bits and pieces from the Norfolk Newspapers over the years so there may well be more to find.

He is remembered on the village war memorial at Guist under the name Fuller Pilch.

Guist fallen of WW1 - Harold Palmer to Charles Tipple

Cheers,
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

According to Australian records "Pte Littmann is 1636 Pte Robert Croy (killed in action 12 October 1917 near Steenvoorde, France)"

I am looking for these victims, can anyone help me please

thanks you Augustin

1 hour ago, Augustin said:

According to Australian records

Always helpful = Could you please give your source in detail.

:-) M

4 hours ago, Augustin said:

According to Australian records "Pte Littmann is 1636 Pte Robert Croy (killed in action 12 October 1917 near Steenvoorde, France)"

I don't understand what you are saying/implying when you refer to LITTMANN ???

1636 Pte Robert Croy

1] CWGC have as CROY https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1598599/ROBERT CROY/

2] National Archives Australia [Attestation] have as CROY https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=3473171 

3] Australian War Memorial [Australian Red Cross Wounded & Missing Files] have as CROY https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/awm-media/collection/RCDIG1035401/document/5535470.PDF 

Do you think CROY had another name? As LITTMANN ???

The NAA record 2] above for CROY on page 4 has a burial location of: Broodsinde D.22.d.9.5 Sheet 28 NE

Edited by Matlock1418
expand burial location note

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

The NAA record 2] above for CROY on page 4 has a burial location of: Broodsinde D.22.d.9.5 Sheet 28 NE

Putting those map coordinates into TMAPPER http://www.tmapper.com shows that there was once a nearby cemetery - two parts on the  NW & SW sides of the crossroads in Broodseinde

Looking on the modern google maps streetview shows the NW part to now be built over but the SW part has a war memorial

Edited by Matlock1418
correct reference

52 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Do you think CROY had another name? As LITTMANN ???

yes it's possible, thank you all i'm not going to go further in the research for this soldier, i thought he died in Steenvoorde but no so i wouldn't go  

thanks you

A

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,
 Is it possible to find the death notices of these two men?
I am only looking for their death notices. Thank you very much.

-GERALD FRANKLIN HARVEY

-WILLIAM JAMIESON McCONNOCHIE

Merci, Augustin.

25 minutes ago, Augustin said:

WILLIAM JAMIESON McCONNOCHIE

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/145810/william-jamieson-mcconnochie

CWGC and MIC both suggest it is likely he came from Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland - Local newspapers in that area might have reported his death

Edit: Not local to Ayr but reported in newspapers [abstracts from Find My Past - I can't see the full articles]:

LEEDS AVIATOR’S DEATH. HIS PARTNER IN BUSINESS ALSO KILLED IN ACTION. News of the death of Second-Lieutenant William J. McConnochie, of the Royal Flying Corps, has been received in Leeds, where was in business before the war. He was killed in action 

15 November 1915 - Leeds Mercury - Leeds, Yorkshire, England

And

LEEDS AVIATOR KILLED IN ACTION. Official intimation has been received of the death Second-Lieutenant William J. McConnochie, the Royal Flying Corps, who was killed action France on Monday last Second-Lieut. was 27 years of age, and single 

13 November 1915 - Yorkshire Evening Post - Leeds, Yorkshire, England

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

31 minutes ago, Augustin said:

GERALD FRANKLIN HARVEY

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/144587/gerald-franklin-harvey

CWGC record: Son of the late Charles Harvey; ward of Mrs. Hancock, of Bampton, Oxon, and 12, St. James Square, Bath. Native of London. [Oxon = Oxfordshire.  Native of London = born there] - Local newspapers in those areas might have reported his death

Edit: More widely reported in newspapers [abstracts from Find My Past - I can't see the full articles]:

SATURDAY'S LISTS  "... wards obtained a commission.] HARVEY, Lieut. G. F., Royal Field Artillery, attached Royal Flying Corps. Lieutenant Gerald Franklyn Harvey, who was educated Lancing College, wit out to France with the R.F.A. September, 1914, and five weeks ago was attached ..."
15 November 1915 - Birmingham Daily Post - Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

and
FALLEN OFFICERS.  "... BRIEF BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. Lieutenant Gerald Franklin Harvey, Royal Field Artillery, attached Royal Flying Corps (killed in action), was born in March, 1893, and entered the Royal Artillery from the Special Reserve in December, 1913 ..."

16 November 1915 - Newcastle Journal - Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Hope this except will also help it was taken from the book “Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery” by Paul Chapman

B1FD65F7-595E-4943-9113-565E09DBCFDE.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 6:59 PM, TEW said:

Couldn't help looking back over some diaries.

108 Field Ambulance. 4/7/1918. Billeted in Eecke, area shelled during the night, some artillery horses killed in the field next to our transport.

2/2 South Midland FA. 17/9/17. Billeted in Eecke, sheet 27 Q.19.c.3.6. Actually some way out of Eecke

122 Field Coy. RE. 3/7/18. Improving billets in Eecke Q.25.b.7.2.

Some are saying At Eecke, while some say Near Eecke or Eecke area. Some are in billets and others in camps but the trend seems to be that most farms, barns and stores all around Eecke were used.

TEW

to find articles about Eecke in "THE NATIONAL ACHIVES" you have to type the name of the village in the search bar?

Thank you

Augustin