Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could anyone tell me what I have here please

Shoulder titles of the 6th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers and shoulder titles of 14th/20th Hussars.

Very nice items IMHO.

I'm sure there is much more to be said so I'll give way to those more knowledgeable than myself.

14th and 20th Hussars were amalgamated in 1922 so those are definitely post-Great War.

Ron

34 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

Shoulder titles of the 6th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers and shoulder titles of 14th/20th Hussars.

Very nice items IMHO.

I'm sure there is much more to be said so I'll give way to those more knowledgeable than myself.

thank you

18 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

14th and 20th Hussars were amalgamated in 1922 so those are definitely post-Great War.

Ron

thank you

From 1908 when they were formed the TF had a special configuration for their shoulder titles.  For most line infantry this comprised three tiers showing the number of the battalion, T for Territorial Force and then the standard title as used by the regiment concerned.  Fusilier and Light Infantry Regiments had an extra tier to incorporate a fuzed grenade, or strung bugle horn, respectively.  With the Military Service Act of 1916 the differential became essentially nugatory and many battalions simply cut off the T, wore standard metal titles, or wore the replacement woven worsted (later printed) slip-on type in lieu.

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

or wore the replacement woven worsted (later printed) slip-on type in lieu.

Sorry to intrude again, but - counter-intuitively (because I'd assume the embroidered to be more expensive) - it's the other way round. The 'printed' ("oil painted") titles were 1915, the embroidered versions 1916.

Cheers,

GT.

3 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

Sorry to intrude again, but - counter-intuitively (because I'd assume the embroidered to be more expensive) - it's the other way round. The 'printed' ("oil painted") titles were 1915, the embroidered versions 1916.

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks GT, must confess I’d forgotten that completely.  In a way it makes sense, as I doubt that the printed version stood up well to damp and wear and tear in the line so well as stout embroidery.

Edited by FROGSMILE