Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Austro-Hungarian Insignia

Nikita Katzen

Hello all,

Recently i've found this photo of an Austro-Hungarian soldier and his comrade (who wears a captured prototype American helmet, quite interestingly) and both of them have German-style collar litzen, which as far as i'm aware was never used by Austria-Hungary. I assume these two fellows are on the Western Front, due to the American helmet, but in all my reading none of the four regiments sent to France in June 1918 wore litzen or German insignia?

I'm quite confused on this one.

Cheers,
Nikita

image_2021-09-19_231642.png

Hello Nikita.  Are you aware of this website whose subject is the Austro-Hungarian military: http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk

Perhaps the answer to your query is there.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I was not aware of the website! Thank you very much for the link, I'll have a look through it now to see if I can find anything.

Cheers,
Nikita

1 minute ago, Nikita Katzen said:

I was not aware of the website! Thank you very much for the link, I'll have a look through it now to see if I can find anything.

Cheers,
Nikita

It seems quite comprehensive and there are lots of photos and pages with details of uniform.

Indeed it does! 

Thanks again,
Nikita

8 minutes ago, Nikita Katzen said:

Indeed it does! 

Thanks again,
Nikita

I’m glad to help.  Thank you for pointing out the prototype American helmet, I had never heard of it before now.

50 minutes ago, Nikita Katzen said:

Hello all,

Recently i've found this photo of an Austro-Hungarian soldier and his comrade (who wears a captured prototype American helmet, quite interestingly) and both of them have German-style collar litzen, which as far as i'm aware was never used by Austria-Hungary. I assume these two fellows are on the Western Front, due to the American helmet, but in all my reading none of the four regiments sent to France in June 1918 wore litzen or German insignia?

I'm quite confused on this one.

Cheers,
Nikita

image_2021-09-19_231642.png

I'm not sure this is an American Prototype Helmet, I know the one you're referring to, but to me this appears to be an M17 Berndorfer. Here is a Berndorfer from an identical angle 

Berndorfer.jpg

Edited by Horatio

24 minutes ago, Horatio said:

I'm not sure this is an American Prototype Helmet, I know the one you're referring to, but to me this appears to be an M17 Berndorfer. Here is a Berndorfer from an identical angle 

This was precisely my thought. I'm not sure any of the prototype helmets were actually fielded by the AEF .

Chris

ah, perhaps I was wrong then.
I'm not all too familiar with the Berndorfer, I apologise for my mistake.

Cheers,
NIkita

It’s no issue, everyone makes mistakes. I’d suggest looking into the Berndorfer, it’s a rather fascinating helmet.