Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3757 Pte William Reynolds 16th Lancers

patchthedog

Good day, i am researching the above mentioned, I have his medal card, Regimental war diary. I know he was wounded, not badly enough to be returned to England, however i can not find out when he was wounded? is their any way of tracking this down? I have used a genealogy site but nothing shows. 

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your research.

To help me-do you have an address for him?

George

Hi, yes he was at 23 Bristol Road in Brighton on 1911 census, born in1890, i have everything really bar his wounding, up to the files over 300 pages!! on his murder in 1944 in Germany. He was a member of the Comte line during WW2, got everything from the Red Cross etc etc. Just so annoying i cannot find when he was wounded .

Many thanks for the help.

Simon

6 hours ago, patchthedog said:

I know he was wounded, not badly enough to be returned to England, however i can not find out when he was wounded? is their any way of tracking this down?

On the off chance = Have you tried looking in local newspapers?

Whilst he may not have come home he might have sent a letter back and families often gave these to newspapers - Local newspapers, the social media of the day!

Good luck

:-) M

I note that his (twin) brother Charles was also 16th Lancers and in 1911 was on their Census.

Their father, Robert J Reynolds, was a 1st Class gymnastics instructor and served 18 years in the Army and went to Brighton c 1886 to instruct at Brighton College.

(I'm noting bits about family to aid local newspaper search)

Charlie

Edit*- it seems the family were heavily into 16th Lancers- courtesy FindmyPast:

1569098537_GWFReynoldsWLancersBrothersInLancers.JPG.81f161286d6b765c20024e160ff63f36.JPG

Edited by charlie962

Yes, Funny the papers say he had six sons, both census 1901 and 1911 state only 4, and do not mention any who may have deceased, all four served in the 16th. 3 were old contemptibles. Only William stayed in the Regiment the others transferred out in 1916. He met his future wife who was a Belgian Nurse when he was wounded. Thanks for the help all so far :) 

42 minutes ago, patchthedog said:

all four served in the 16th. 3 were old contemptibles. Only William stayed in the Regiment the others transferred out in 1916.

There was a SJ Reynolds was 16th Lancers, 4120, wounded CasList 25/1/15 report date 2/12/14. Trfd to Machine Gun Corps and new number 41630

The older two brothers not in the later Census but in 1891 are:

Robert aged 9, born Winchester (this is 3042 later 313355) in TankCorps Enlistments on FindmyPast. Ended up SQMS, Exemplary.

Edward aged 6 born Brighton

-There is an E Reynolds 6267  of 16th lancers in Hospital admissions Alexandria 1919 suffering from Malaria ? deleted as probably Eric not Edward!

Edit- Joseph Reynolds is on TankCorps Enlistments here

Edited by charlie962

Thanks, for that, now it makes sense. :) William and Charles and James joined up sometime before the war as the first two were servants to an Officer who left the Regiment beginning of 1914. Joseph on joining stayed in Ireland till 1915. Means Robert is the one not a 16th Lancer. As Edward looks like he was.

31 minutes ago, patchthedog said:

Yes, Funny the papers say he had six sons, both census 1901 and 1911 state only 4,

1911 census has three sons at home [William, James & Joseph] - but a total of 11 children born [and 11 still alive] to Robert James and Charlotte REYNOLDS [34 years married] - the rest were probably older and had flown the nest.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
marriage length

A look at Ancestry's listing of papers held by MOD the following come up:

1754162447_GWFReynoldWAncestryDischargeHits.JPG.180513b9c06c282279364e91c15c9873.JPG

William Reynold looks, per TankCorpEnlistments, to be born c Nov 1890. There's one man suitable above but that service number isn't on the TankCorpsEnlistments?

Edit- there is a birth registerd Brighton Q2 1890 for a William Reynolds and ditto Charles Reynolds?? When was your William born?(edit-see later post)

Edited by charlie962

Twin Brother Charles has an entry in Tank Corps Enlistments but birth 1900. However the 1939 Register shows the same man and next of kin all living in Cavendish Rd, HemelH, Hertfordshire and his birthdate is noted as 11th May 1890 . So I think TCE entry is him just wrong age?

Charlie

Update -  MIC for Charles shows 16th Lancers,1366, then MGC 41580 then Corps of Lancers 19081, and the last two agree with the TCE entry.

Further Update- Charles's service file is held by MoD

This from Ancestry's listing:

Name: C Reynolds
Birth Date: 11 May 1890
Service Number: 314262
Reference Number: ADT000547357
Edited by charlie962

When did William join Tank Corps please? His marriage listing says he was still Lancers at the time in Belgium...1919

George

On 18/09/2021 at 11:00, patchthedog said:

I know he was wounded,

Simon, do you definitely know he was wounded rather than sick in Hospital? I've looked at some Casualty Lists but not found him and just want to be sure before looking further.

charlie

1 minute ago, charlie962 said:

Simon, do you definitely know he was wounded rather than sick in Hospital? I've looked at some Casualty Lists but not found him and just want to be sure before looking further.

charlie

I am tending to think you may be right and he was sick not wounded, i found his Brother Charlie had been in Hospital in 1914 suffering from Fits. It is claimed he was treated by his future wife Eloise who was a nurse, and i think i have jumped at the wounded angle rather than sickness

Thanks