Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harwich Submarines - the 1914 Campaign

The Treasurer

My book, Harwich Submarines in the Great War - the first submarine campaign of the Royal Navy in 1914, was published today by Helion & Company.

The book is a collaboration with the Friends of the Royal Navy Submarine Museum and profits from my author royalties will go to support the work of the Museum. Front cover below.

Many have helped out to complete the book and I'd like to specifically thank two members of the forum who have made a direct contribution. Michael Lowrey helped out with tracking down information from U-boat war diaries and RNCVR contributed a photograph image from his collection to illustrate it.

Nominated for the Maritime Foundation's 2022 Mountbatten Award for Best Book.

The book is now widely available world-wide:

https://markharrisauthor.wordpress.com/harwich-submarines-in-the-great-war/where-to-buy-harwich-submarines-in-the-great-war/

The cover features D.1 on wireless trials in 1910 (a fact tracked down by Darren Brown for me) and an inset of Petty Officer LTO Arthur Hiscock DSM, taken soon after he joined the Navy, which is used by permission of his grandson, Keith. Arthur was lost with all of his shipmates on the last patrol of D.2 during the campaign.

‘Harris’s research is little short of astonishing… [He] describes meticulously the people, doctrine, and training of the submarine force… He has illustrated the book with a number of excellent photographs and his own very good charts.’ – Naval Historical Foundation

‘This book is a history of the British Submarine Service cutting its operational teeth in war, in the most formidably demanding of environments… in this the flotilla was very much the (frequently unacknowledged) spearhead of the British blockade of Germany.’ – The Mariner’s Mirror, Journal of the Society for Nautical Research

‘This is a book which will inform anyone interested in Great War submarine operations and the influences in the very beginnings of the British submariners’ ethos.’ – The Naval Review

‘Harwich Submarines … is well illustrated with sharp clear photos and excellent maps. It is recommended.’ – Over the Front Magazine

Harwich Submarines front cover.jpg

Edited by The Treasurer
updated for availability, reviews