Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st C.M.R. at Vimy Ridge - 1:2500 Map

Peter Maxfield

I've found another map in with Major W.E. Maxfield's papers. Marked 1st C.M.R. Bn, it would appear to be the Battalion (Brigade) Frontage for Vimy Ridge. Rather long, so two pics of two halves. Size approx 36" x 15¼." Very creased where folded, so will be trying to flatten and scan as with the previous find [https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/292882-the-raid-1st-cmr-december-20th-1916-map/?tab=comments#comment-3048329] First Objective - Swischen Stellung and Final Objective is, I think, now the Chemin de Givenchy. The junction of which with the D917 (old RN17) looks like 'Andros Corner,' obviosly named for their C.O., Lt.-Col. Ralph Craven Andros, D.S.O.Vimy Left Half.jpg

Vimy Right Half.jpg

Edited by Peter Maxfield

10 hours ago, Peter Maxfield said:

I've got are rather rare

Yes indeed Peter.  Of the IWM's British Trench Map collection of 5,329 only 33 are less than 1:5,000 and these are of similar types as yours, typically linen used for trench raids.  To have an artefact like this in private possession is rare, which is why I keep harping on about seeking professional advice on preserving it or one day you will take it out and find faded colours, holes and dead moth larvae and a tantalising glimpse of what might have been!

Thank you! Yes, two museums have been back in touch with some more good advice, which I will be following. That they've both survived in a cloth suitcase for over a hundred years is just a stroke of good luck. I'm thinking hard about the best place for them. They must've come home in his officer's trunk, which, although treated, has many woodworm holes in it, and they have spent the last forty years in a very large old house where I know clothes moths were present. Yes - time to act!