Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. William Jones 235038 / 3699

Saudirick

Hi all, New to this forum and have started researching my Great Grand Father who is buried at Duisans cemetery at Arras. I have visited the grave twice now but in my research I can see from his cap badge in his studio photograph that he started with the Brecknockshire regiment of the South Wales Borderers as 3699 but at some point must have transferred to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers 10th Battalion as 235038 which he was serving with when he died. I cannot for the life of me find his service records yet but can anybody tell me if transferring was common place and how I can find out when and where he transferred. I have read the war diaries for both regiments and would love to know in which theatre of war he actually took part in

Hi and welcome to the forum

His Medal roll on Ancestry (subscription needed) has the numbers as you say, however, many service records were lost in the blitz in WW2, so you only have a small chance of finding it

image.png.c9006fbf0e2d3b5e10b2954b342fd09b.png

regards

Jon

Edited by jonbem

the Ancestry roll also notes 

4th Battalion
Name: William Jones
Military Year: 1914-1920
Unit: 4th Battalion
Company: WO 329
Regiment or Corps: Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Regiment Number: 2350 38
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal

37 minutes ago, jonbem said:

the Ancestry roll also notes 

4th Battalion
Name: William Jones
Military Year: 1914-1920
Unit: 4th Battalion
Company: WO 329
Regiment or Corps: Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Regiment Number: 2350 38
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal

Thats interesting as his Commonmwealth War Graves Commission certificate states 10th Bn.

What would the Company number of WO329 refer to?

Thank you all so much for the responses so far. This alone is very helpful to me

8 minutes ago, Saudirick said:

What would the Company number of WO329 refer to?

Think it is likely to be a glitch - War Office references WO 329 are Campaign Medal Rolls and likewise for Silver War Badge [also commonly abbreviated as SWB] lists, see at the National Archives.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
expand

Ok, Thanks. It would be nice to know if the service records actually exist. The more research I am trying to do the more interested I am becoming. My father served in the RAF in Egypt in ww2 and that had been my main interest.... until now

5 minutes ago, Woodnbits said:

The Familysearch record that busterfield's post above I think refers to is the service record on fmp.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7405052%2F33%2F972

It is possible you will also find it on ancestry.

Yes it is

9 minutes ago, Saudirick said:

The more research I am trying to do the more interested I am becoming

Not from his service record but if you like family stuff then you will probably like this.

His Widows [and family] pension index card [sadly the main file will be long lost, deliberately destroyed when its use was ended]

666379729_JONESW.3699-235038.png.343c13bccc49269a044e9a56c3513acb.png

Image courtesy of WFA/Fold3

28/9 per week = 13/9 for his widow [as under 45] plus 5/-, 4/2, 3/4 and 2/6 respectively for the children.

Children's allowances typically paid until they reached 16, then they stopped.

A one-off £3 [60/-] grant was earlier paid to help widow with expenses associated with her husband's death - quite commonly used for notices in newspapers - thus, if you have not already done so, you are advised to check local newspapers from the Shrewsbury area [possibly for a notice of his death but also perhaps for other articles and commonly a Holy Grail of a photo].

Good luck.

6 minutes ago, Saudirick said:

Thats wonderful, Thank you. I will sign up to FMP 

If in UK worth checking if your local library subscribes to FMP and/or Ancestry - members can often get free access [both in library and at the moment for some also remotely]

You can alternatively often get short FMP / Ancestry subscriptions and/or or even free access on a limited number of days each year - look out for their special offers.

36 minutes ago, Woodnbits said:

The Familysearch record that busterfield's post above I think refers to is the service record on fmp.

30 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Yes it is

Is that 'Yes it is the service record?' or 'Yes it is on Ancestry?'
Blowed if I can find it...

7 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Is that 'Yes it is the service record?' or 'Yes it is on Ancestry?'

Short Service Attestation etc. on Ancestry [well that is where I was looking] - under 3699 [with further pages for 235038]

Edit: And yes, it is on FMP too - with the page abstracts earlier posted above.

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Thanks so much. Gertrude Mary was his daughter and my Grandmother that i remember well. Unfortunately, before the war he was a chauffeur with a cottage provided, on his death, my Great Grandmother had to leave the cottage with her 4 young children

Leaving the military side aside for now you may be interested in these further family details from his service record [a form his widow had to return]:

920198314_JONESW.3699-235038(2).png.7f2cb3c55c5c306d1ea90192fdfc49fe.png

Image courtesy of Find My Past

Edited by Matlock1418

1 hour ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Blowed if I can find it...

THIS ONE?

On 17/09/2021 at 11:19, Matlock1418 said:

Short Service Attestation etc. on Ancestry [well that is where I was looking] - under 3699 [with further pages for 235038]

Edit: And yes, it is on FMP too - with the page abstracts earlier posted above.

I have now joined FMP as a free trial but cant find the Short Service Attestation as mentioned above by Matlock1418, maybe im not looking in the right place?

On 17/09/2021 at 10:38, Woodnbits said:

Tim

Still works.

Someone with Ancestry access might say if there is any additional pages not included with FMP.

Tim

Edited by Woodnbits

11 hours ago, Saudirick said:

I have now joined FMP as a free trial but cant find the Short Service Attestation as mentioned above by Matlock1418, maybe im not looking in the right place?

On FMP there are two Service Records with SS Attestations for William JONES, 3699 = 3 June 1892 and 24 November 1915

Using the advanced option: put in his names, select military records (or vice versa) and then add his number - brings up three hits for me [the other one is for his medals]

Good luck.