Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Operation war diary search database

jhall

Good evening, 

I have asked a similar question before but am interested if there is a database of names and numbers of the soldiers,that people have listed from operation war diary  it seams a shame that there is no database for people to see if any family members a mentioned in a diary, i know its rare for individuals to be mentioned i know having looked thorough many diaries that is mainly offices but some rank and file are listed,

Thanks in advance 

James 

The original project was to 'tag' relevant bits of information  and incorporate it into discovery.

Logged in to TNA and can browse all tags alphabetically or search a specific word. Can't see a way to search WO95 for tags. Browsing the tags doesn't tell you what series it's in.

The phrase 'Mametz Wood' has been tagged in WO95/2547/2 and the tag shows up on that record. Searching for 'Mametz Wood' in WO95 fails to bring up any results.

Short of checking each diary's record page I can't see how the tagged data would show up.

TEW

There does seem to be some data available for 'Names'. 74,000 rows so presumably 74,000 names. Not tried it so hope the link is still active.

Follow this link

https://talk.operationwardiary.org/boards/BWD000000l/discussions/DWD0001559

Read the opening post if you want and then follow the Google drive link at the end to obtain either an html file or a text file which will import to a spreadsheet.

Wonder if other datasets are available.

TEW

thank you all for you reply's, 

in will endeavour  to try to add to the list  

as i read some war diarys