Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2684 Pte Daniel Moore 7bn Royal Irish Rifles INFO NEEDED

RogHERO

Hi Guys. This man , Daniel Moore 2684 was a winner of a very special Italian Decoration, Al Valore Militare during WW1. There is no asstestation papers for him unfortunately. I'm trying to figure out where he is from only. His medal rolls and pension card are no help really. Does anyone have any local knowledge in relation to the Royal Irish Rifles unit that might mention him and where he was from. I'd imagine it might be Belfast or Dublin. But no sure. Need to be 100%. And help would be a God send. Thanks , Roger . 

I never got off first base with him

1. One of his pension cars gives his address as Soldiers Club. College Green, Dublin. He seems to have collected his pension (50% disabled)  from there for about 10 years. Indicating he was living in Dublin at that time

2. His DOB is given on the pension card as 1881

3. There are 8 Daniel Moores born in Ireland between 1880 and 1882. None were born in Dublin

4. I could not find anyone likely in 1901 or 1911 censuses . He could have been in army

Hi Peter. 

Yes I have it thanks. I'm really kinda looking for anyone have any information from local areas maybe around Belfast or Dublin which would name him as a soldier in the 7th Battalion of the Royal irish rifles. All the medal rolls and Gazette info I have. Trying to do the background on the man. 

Edited by RogHERO

7 minutes ago, corisande said:

1. One of his pension cars gives his address as Soldiers Club. College Green, Dublin. He seems to have collected his pension (50% disabled)  from there for about 10 years. Indicating he was living in Dublin at that time

2. His DOB is given on the pension card as 1881

3. There are 8 Daniel Moores born in Ireland between 1880 and 1882. None were born in Dublin

4. I could not find anyone likely in 1901 or 1911 censuses . He could have been in army

I take it you've tried to look this man up before so , ?? . Hes mentioned in the Belfast telegraph newspaper and the Northern Wig newspaper as a " local from the city or county"" 

Just now, RogHERO said:

I take it you've tried to look this man up before so , ?? . Hes mentioned in the Belfast telegraph newspaper and the Northern Wig newspaper as a " local from the city or county"" 

5 minutes ago, RogHERO said:

take it you've tried to look this man up before so , ?? .

Not sure why you think I have clapped eyes on him before. I have never heard of him :-)

Of the 8 Daniel Moores born 1880 to 1882, the only one from Ulster is this man. born Ballymoney. But without other information to corroberate, it proves neither one thing nor other.

birth.jpg.51b091612c947d95267acf886e4b8979.jpg

18 minutes ago, corisande said:

FMP has

First Name:
Daniel
Surname:
Moore
Private
Service Number:
7/2684
Regiment:
Archive Reference:
WO 372/14/67655
(Can be found at The National Archives in Kew, and contains First World War, War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index)

George

16 minutes ago, RogHERO said:

Hes mentioned in the Belfast telegraph newspaper and the Northern Wig newspaper as a " local from the city or county"" 

It helps if forum members have all the info to start. This is the clip you refer to. However there seems to be nothing to link the medal recipient to the Ballymoney man directly

medal.jpg.42b44e2bc4e2a93432ebfaee731faa75.jpg

The pension claim is annotated DEAD  in 1933 - but this is not necessarily the death of the man.

:-) M

Yes , on the pension card it saids DEAD 1933. Now a Daniel Moore died in 1933 from Tallaght Dublin from Bronchitis. Not sure if coincidence but on Daniel Moores Pension card it states he died from Bronchitis TB of the lungs. @corisandesorry I didn't Include the newspapers as I didn't know if he was only mentioned as he was with 7bn , a unit formed in Belfast 1914. 

1 hour ago, RogHERO said:

Yes , on the pension card it saids DEAD 1933. Now a Daniel Moore died in 1933 from Tallaght Dublin from Bronchitis. Not sure if coincidence but on Daniel Moores Pension card it states he died from Bronchitis TB of the lungs.

Assuming I have found the same Death Registration, entry 447 - the death in the Dublin Union Workhouse, 17 June 1933, for a Daniel MOORE was for a man aged 48.

Daniel MOORE, 2684

The main Pension Ledger Index Card is for a disability pension [there is a second cancelled PLIC] - it is shown as his disability, not death.

The Pension Index Card relating to that disability [same claim reference of 13/MM/3018 and mention of Case passed to Treatment - which was very common for TB] is the one with DEAD 1933 on it.

Edit: Death Registration entry 447

258611975_MOOREDaniel.png.3be4bba2718dab1d12648131e8b91458.png

Image courtesy of ie.geneaology

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit

42 minutes ago, RedCoat said:

the annotation DEAD signifies the date the pension claim ended, not when the claiment died. 

Yes - the claim is DEAD

I may perhaps not have been clear enough in my earlier post [?] - but I think the OP is wisely exploring options and one is that the claim ended, became DEAD, [as disability claims did] when the man died.

A man with bronchitis, and it would seem also TB of the lungs, typically could have a tragically shortened life.  1933 could perhaps fit.  But at the moment ???

Really kind of hoping someone with local parish information knows exactly where hes from. Because theres so many possibilities it's so hard to nail down exactly who he is. In this game you need to be 100% sure.