Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Light Infantry War Graves

Shoosie

The HLI Chronicle was the quarterly publication 'local' news regarding Battalions of the Regiment.

The 1915 issue lists Pte Duffy on page 61 (bottom left column), amongst the Casualties.

I do not see Pte Welsh listed, but 4th Battalion news is at page 78.

HLI Chronicle 1915 - The Royal Highland Fusiliers (yumpu.com)

I know the link refers to the RHF but that is just where the Chronicle is held.

With the disbandment of the HLI, the RHF Museum in Sauchiehall St, Glasgow, took over the HLI's stuff.

The Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum Glasgow (rhf.org.uk)

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

18 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

There's quite a good write up about Patrick Duffy's passing and funeral in the Hamilton Advertiser 17th April 1915. This shows he was unmarried and living with a married sister in Gateside St. He had been a pre war regular and had completed 8 years service  and 4 in reserves by 1913, then re enlisted September 1914.

See attached (courtesy British Newspaper Archives).

Tom.

1915 04 17 Hamilton Advertiser p4.jpg

1 hour ago, david murdoch said:

There's quite a good write up about Patrick Duffy's passing and funeral in the Hamilton Advertiser 17th April 1915. This shows he was unmarried and living with a married sister in Gateside St. He had been a pre war regular and had completed 8 years service  and 4 in reserves by 1913, then re enlisted September 1914.

I  actually grew up just off Gateside Street and my mum was born there ! Its about a 20 min walk to the cemetery from there and i also had family living in Gateside Street at the time of Patrick's death.Its a small world indeed ! 

17 minutes ago, Shoosie said:

I  actually grew up just off Gateside Street and my mum was born there ! Its about a 20 min walk to the cemetery from there and i also had family living in Gateside Street at the time of Patrick's death. Its a small world indeed ! 

My sister lives right in the middle of Hamilton. Close to Lamb St and just a short walk to the cemetery. Will try and take a walk up there next time I'm there.

3 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

My sister lives right in the middle of Hamilton. Close to Lamb St and just a short walk to the cemetery. Will try and take a walk up there next time I'm there.

3 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

I walk my dogs in the cemetery nearly every day and most days i pass these two graves.I have to admit iv researched probably every war grave there but for some reason these two are close to my heart and its fabulous to finally know a little more about these two men. Thank you all so much !