Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

a reminder to those thinking of visiting battlefields

chaz

As we seem to be getting back to normal, as normal as can be, a few possible new explorers may be planning a trip to France to visit the battlefields.

a Timely reminder to keep eyes open and not to touch has appeared in France Bleu. A mustard gas shell has been found leaking.

https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/faits-divers-justice/un-agriculteur-et-sa-famille-brules-apres-une-fuite-d-obus-dans-un-champ-1631554344

That's why one should always wear work gloves when moving an unexploded shell (in case one finds something and has to move it). Better still is of course not touching anything at all.

Mustard gas (I know, it's not a gas) leaking is extremely dangerous and can cause serious injuries, not only to one self but also to other people whom one touches (or shakes the hand etc). The problem is that it is often only clear that there was a problem the nex day.

Jan

I will see if I can find the report and append to this post, but a farmers wife was injured earlier (April) in the year when sowing potatoes in the Langemark area, the tractor connected with  a shell and an explosion  occurred, she received shrapnel and burn injuries to legs and face.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/164460/woman-injured-by-exploding-world-war-one-shell-langemark-poelkapelle-west-flanders-dovo-iron-harvest/

sorry no picture of the injuries although I have seen one

Edited by Knotty
Added the article

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

I will see if I can find the report and append to this post, but a farmers wife was injured earlier (April) in the year when sowing potatoes in the Langemark area, the tractor connected with  a shell and an explosion  occurred, she received shrapnel and burn injuries to legs and face.

I think this was posted here on the forum as well.

I posted this originally, as we have had a few new members join the forum and have been looking for places to go to pick up battlefield finds.

20 minutes ago, chaz said:

I posted this originally, as we have had a few new members join the forum and have been looking for places to go to pick up battlefield finds.

Well done Chaz, there’s no harm in reinforcing how dangerous it is to handle these munitions