Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet year? Country?

CraigQuigley

Hello everyone,

im trying to restore my dads old bayonet he had since childhood.  I’m trying to confirm country of origin and year…also the type of wood to recreate the handle?  :)

thanks in advance!

CQ

7CE75960-B2F0-477F-BB7C-336A8AD81C01.jpeg

4C0191B2-62D3-4781-A297-7102DE7709BF.jpeg

It appears to be a British 1907 Pattern bayonet for the SMLE rifle. Replacement grips and securing bolts can still be found, likewise scabbards.

Could you post a picture of the other side of the base of the blade? That’s where the maker name and date would have been stamped.

The grips were made of walnut wood; try the well-known, online auction site for NOS grips.

Well done for saving your Dad’s memento, and please post photos when finished.

Regards,

JMB

1 hour ago, peregrinvs said:

Could you post a picture of the other side of the base of the blade? That’s where the maker name and date would have been stamped.

894AADDB-A8B2-4DDB-BCE8-EB3ABB014E10.jpeg

B0BC2F17-C5B4-4BDB-BF2C-010378149999.jpeg

0736C946-B5B9-4A22-95B3-2047F0DA4478.jpeg

Unfortunately it looks like the corrosion has obliterated the maker and date markings. However, there’s a high probability it was manufactured between 1914-18.

1 minute ago, peregrinvs said:

Unfortunately it looks like the corrosion has obliterated the maker and date markings. However, there’s a high probability it was manufactured between 1914-18.

Thank you sir, I appreciate your time.

I believe that it may be an Aussie. Lithgow bayonet, looks like the early Lithgow proof mark ( A inside star) just above cross on second photo. 

6 minutes ago, t.ryan said:

I believe that it may be an Aussie. Lithgow bayonet, looks like the early Lithgow proof mark ( A inside star) just above cross on second photo. 

As close as I can get

D93AC83D-8233-4611-8299-70DCC8B17936.jpeg

8F8DB39A-58D5-4D4F-B880-8BB43FBEADF7.jpeg

First photo is of a 1920 Lithgow bayonet showing the star made at Lithgow. and second photo is of Lithgow 1943 bayonet made at Orange (OA). Your last photo looks similar, ^ X and what looks like an A. This a little confusing as to why later bayonet would have the earlier star. 

07A5.jpg

07C6.jpg

Yes it does appear to be a Lithgow (Australia) made P1907 bayonet. The D prefix Serial Number stamped on the pommel would date it to 1941/42 production. 

Cheers, SS 

The original timber grips for this bayonet would have been Coachwood and new replacements are still commonly available. They would have been stamped with something like SLAZ 42 which stands for Slazenger, the Australian manufacturer.

Cheers, SS 

Could be possible that Lithgow had blade blanks that were proof stamped with the early Aussie. Lithgow "Star" proof mark, left over and complete bayonets assembled out of them for WW2 at Lithgow or Orange.

There are several pair of grips available on the "bay" at the moment.