Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Herbert Hargreaves

bmbab

I have recently come across a note in the British Medical Journal stating that Capt Herbert Hargreaves was a Temp Captain in the RAMC and was serving in France. Sorry if I've missed some basic information but where might I find more about him and his service. I tried The National Archives looking for an officer's service record, but no luck. I'm also not seeing a Medal Record Card or Medal Roll entry for him. Any help please.

Alan

Is this the man?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31870/page/4581

Lieut, (actg. Capt.) H. Hargreaves, M.C., I.A., to be actg. Gapt. (with pay) while performing the duties of Adjt. 1st July 1919.

Not sure but I don't think so. The London Gazette man seems to be in Indian Army and there seems no mention of RAMC.  I think the gazette is also showing that he has an MC and the British Medical Journal reference makes no mention of that - of course the BMJ article in 1917 could have been followed by an MC award.

Thanks for trying

This mentions a man, but not sure if you have to register/log in somewhere (google search for Captain Herbert Hargreaves)

image.png.523465df2f0e9519f1c85f0689126a00.png

https://www.jstor.org/stable/20308583

also

image.png.25b524c63211c1d6973fc57693df66c1.png

https://www.bmj.com/content/2/2965/564

Edited by jonbem

jonbem - that's the JSTOR article I first found and led me to the BMJ article. Thanks then for the gazette link. I can't be certain but it looks like that's the one.

Woodnbits - thanks that's great. I had searched and searched ancestry but could not find that card. That's definitely the one as the address is Boston Spa and I know he lived there.

The card lists a SWB award, but would he have got other medals - I have not found any medal card. The BMJ article says he served in France so I would have thought he would have.

The SWB award date and the gazette relinquishing his commission looks linked. I had hoped the SWB might have given a start date for his service.

I think I've now read that records for temporary officers in the RAMC have all been lost. So I'm wondering if there is any way of tracing what his service was in France.

Thanks all for your help

Alan

5 minutes ago, bmbab said:

The card lists a SWB award, but would he have got other medals - I have not found any medal card. The BMJ article says he served in France so I would have thought he would have.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-military-campaign-and-service-medals/

a. Army and Royal Flying Corps
For the Army and the Royal Flying Corps there are medal index cards as well as medal rolls. There are medal index cards for over 5.5 million men who served abroad in the First World War. Army officers were not automatically issued campaign medals, they had to apply for them, so there may not be a card for an officer. Each card should contain the soldier’s name, corps (regiment), rank, regimental number, perhaps the first theatre of war served in and the date of entry to it, as well as other remarks and of course the medals awarded. The cards are in document series WO 372 but copies can be viewed online and are name-searchable. Each card also provides a reference number which refers to an entry on the medal rolls (WO 329). These medal rolls are available online via Ancestry (charges apply) and you can search them by name and regimental number. The only additional information sometimes available on the rolls is the soldier’s battalion number, which you will need if you want to find the battalion war diary: see British Army operations in the First World War.