The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What did tank crews use to defend themselves if their tank was down?

yamhamthankyoumaam

My first post! :D

My love for history and machines seemed to have combo'd well with the topic of WWI. Because of that, I'm planning to do some cosplay of a WWI tanker, losely based on Battlefield 1's depiction of the US tanker.

While I have seen photographic evidence of what tankers wore, something I couldn't pin down is what they defended themselves with if their tank got too damaged.

While not as historically accurate as people might've liked, BF1 gave the tanker class pistol carbines, like the M1917 C96, the Luger Carbine, etc. But how common were those weapons to the average tanker? Did they use those kind of weapons or did they use pistols, like the regular C96 with its stock?

If any of you all know what other kinds of small-arms tankers of the major powers used, I'd really appreciate it.

Battlefield_1_German_Empire_Tanker_Squad.png

Battlefield_1_United_States_Tanker_Squad.png

I believe that tank crews in the British Army were equipped with the Webley Mk VI revolver.

Welcome to the Forum.

Regards,

JMB

Handguns of any sort were in high demand and hard to obtain - especially on the British side  - for most of WW1. Webley revolvers were effective and easy to use, but heavy and bulky. Small automatics - chiefly 7,65/.32" were compact and popular with those who could get them - but they'd probably be carried unofficially.

There were certainly instances where crewmen in immobilised tanks dismounted Lewis guns and used them on the move - though whether to continue their assault or cover retreat I 'm not certain. Probably both on occasions.

From David Thomas: "The Tank Corps, for example, ran a separate Revolver School at Wareham that trained instructors. The School opened in late 1916. A total of 403 Officers and 544 SNCO instructors were trained in wartime courses lasting a week. From early 1917 instruction was conducted in shooting from a tank at a target advancing from a trench. A total of approximately 6,900 soldiers fired Battle Practices at the School, under these trained instructors."

Also, it wasn't uncommon for officers to have a service revolver in .455, and a 'pocket' automatic in 7.65/.32. I have seen many such sets, the last two to pass through my hands this year were a Smith & Wesson .455 2nd Model and 1907 Savage 7.65 combination, and another S&W .455 2nd and Colt 1903 in .32ACP combination.

Those BF1 images are odd, to say the least. The German has a Luger Carbine (a civilian weapon) with the stock off an Artillery Luger. Very odd. And I cannot fathom what the 'American' tanker is carrying. It looks like some kind of slab-sided automatic (looks the wrong shape for a 1911) mated to a C96 style stock. Kind of like the Browning High Power combination that came 20 years later. Not to mention the C96 strapped to his chest. Very odd.

3 hours ago, Joolz said:

Those BF1 images are odd, to say the least. The German has a Luger Carbine (a civilian weapon) with the stock off an Artillery Luger. Very odd. And I cannot fathom what the 'American' tanker is carrying. It looks like some kind of slab-sided automatic (looks the wrong shape for a 1911) mated to a C96 style stock. Kind of like the Browning High Power combination that came 20 years later. Not to mention the C96 strapped to his chest. Very odd.

BF1 took a lot of creative liberties when it came to design. Many troops are modeled to have experimental helmets, and non-conventional piece on them. A lot of people call Battlefield 1 the "steampunk's world war 1"

Battlefield_1_United_States_Support_Squad.jpg

Battlefield_1_Austro-Hungarian_Empire_Support_Squad.jpg