Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

91872 Jesse Flowers

Gail

7 minutes ago, Gail said:

Yes we found this but i called the cemetery and they said they have no records of this!  Its all so strange. I think ill call them again 

This birth date for this record says 1887 

3 hours ago, clk said:

Hi Gail,

Would it be worth ringing/contacting the Soldiers of Gloucester Museum and asking them if they are likely to hold the enlistment record for a man who is shown to be serving with the 3rd Battalion in the 1911 census? If they are, then my follow up question would be, what information is it likely to contain - 'home' address, NoK, etc? From the link above it looks like they charge £35 to fully research a man. Depending on the answers you get, you could then make an informed decision about whether to take a gamble.

I guess that the same questions would apply for the man who went overseas to serve with the 2nd Battalion shortly after the outbreak of WW1. Hopefully, the men are one and the same, and that you may be able to prove that he was your Jesse.

Regards
Chris

Sadly they are closed ( or at least today) so I will continue to contact them

2 hours ago, Gail said:

This birth date for this record says 1887 

Well, if you note,  his age was said to be 77 at the time of death registration.

Deaths Dec 1964   (>99%)
FLOWERS  ELIJAH J  77  UXBRIDGE  5F 115

All this means is that the informant who supplied the details of his death (almost certainly not a close relative) to the registrar thought his age was 77. They were nearly right... He himself might have believed that. On the 1939 Register, he declared his year of birth to be 1889, which we know now to be wrong, and we can speculate if that was a genuine mistake or not.
All other  consequent paperwork, burial or cremation will probably compound the error of his age being 77 in 1964.

25 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Well, if you note,  his age was said to be 77 at the time of death registration.

Deaths Dec 1964   (>99%)
FLOWERS  ELIJAH J  77  UXBRIDGE  5F 115

All this means is that the informant who supplied the details of his death (almost certainly not a close relative) to the registrar thought his age was 77. They were nearly right... He himself might have believed that. On the 1939 Register, he declared his year of birth to be 1889, which we know now to be wrong, and we can speculate if that was a genuine mistake or not.
All other  consequent paperwork, burial or cremation will probably compound the error of his age being 77 in 1964.

He was registered by two people one of whom we think was a carer at the home he lived in

This is why i kept getting confused by his date of birth. There is another jesse who died though around the same time. You have been such a great help towards us finding Jesse's journey and i cant thank you enough  

Hi Gail,

2 hours ago, Gail said:

Sadly they are closed ( or at least today) so I will continue to contact them

Their website shows the current opening days/hours as:

image.png.85c4984384d6380c878fc1b06368d421.png

Regards
Chris

9 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Regarding clk’s post about tunnellers andGloucestershire,  this may be of interest https://sgmrg.co.uk

TR

Thank you so much. You guys are really helpful 

Just now, Gail said:

All my family are miners including my grandad,s from both sides of the family

48 minutes ago, Gail said:

Not forgetting the Gal's who have contributed

On 15/09/2021 at 17:22, Gail said:

He was registered by two people one of whom we think was a carer at the home he lived in

This is why i kept getting confused by his date of birth. There is another jesse who died though around the same time. You have been such a great help towards us finding Jesse's journey and i cant thank you enough  

To add insult we found this and his mothers maiden name is right 

On 15/09/2021 at 20:40, RaySearching said:

Not forgetting the Gal's who have contributed

Screenshot_20210916-223532_Chrome.jpg.02268c851411bb4995051dd395784500.jpg record today with a different birth year but the right people 

Just now, Gail said:

Screenshot_20210916-223532_Chrome.jpg.02268c851411bb4995051dd395784500.jpg record today with a different birth year but the right people 

Then this one on 1911 census with the right uncle and grandmother and totally different age making him born around 1905

IMG-20210916-WA0001.jpeg

To everyone who has helped us on our journey to find our jesse we are pleased to report we have found his grave in greenford cemetary. Sadly he was buried in a paupers grave with no headstone which is so sad for anyone

Thanks to each and eveyone one of you. You are amazing 👏 ❤ 

15 hours ago, Gail said:

Then this one on 1911 census with the right uncle and grandmother and totally different age making him born around 1905

IMG-20210916-WA0001.jpeg

This record turned out to be the right grandparents but they had taken over the care of another of their grandchildren also called jesse flower born in 1905

2 hours ago, Gail said:

To everyone who has helped us on our journey to find our jesse we are pleased to report we have found his grave in greenford cemetary.

Well  done Gail.

• ss002d6252 changed the title to 91872 Jesse Flowers
  • 8 months later...

This looks like a related thread

M