Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying AEF ribbons

Hallvor

LM5LuKE.jpg

Sorry, I don't have a better image. To the experts here, what are we seeing? Purple heart and victory medal? Anything else? And the two stars? Corporal rank? Am I right?

If purple heart then photo must date from quite a bit post war as I don't think the medal was instituted until 1932 (although the awards were back dated to April 1917) so ribbons would not have been worn before then.  Would a view of the whole picture be possible it might help to date it.

The date of the photo is also going to matter for the way colour is represented (prior to the 1920s film was generally orthochromatic which represented colours differently than modern panchromatic films - if you do a forum search on orthochromatic you will see much discussion of this)

It is quite difficult to see how many ribbons are shown (2 or 3?) towards the right hand end there may be a Victory medal, but I am not sure what is to the left of it - possibilities might include an award for valor or perhaps the Mexican Border Campaign medal (although it doesn't look like it to me)

I am not sure what you mean by two stars? The suspension device below the medals is more likely to be a marksmanship or other qualification award I think - I am not aware of rank insignia being worn in this position.

Chris

Here is the complete image.

It is my great uncle, by the way. He took part in several large battles with the 2nd Division and got WIA at Blanc Mont, where his (23rd Infantry) regiment fought at the center of the offensive. I think the one to the right looks like a victory medal, but I am sorry to say that I don't know exactly when the photo was taken.

I doubt it is the Mexican Border Campaign medal, since he only fought in France with the AEF.

Very interesting, hope to find out what the suspension device is.

Edit: It looks like the expert rifleman badge.

Edit: s-l300.jpg

kristen-crop.jpg

Edited by Hallvor

It's a very nice photograph. I agree it looks like the expert rifleman qualification.

I suspect this was taken fairly soon post war. His uniform is interesting - I have an example like it -- I think it is a private purchase uniform (ie made by a tailor rather than an issue uniform) and made out of smooth linen or cotton rather than the wool of an issue uniform. It also looks like it has non metallic buttons (as do a couple of my private purchase examples)

Still struggling to figure out what the right hand ribbon might be, sorry.

Chris

That makes perfect sense. His issued uniform was badly shredded by a German artillery shell, severely wounding him on October 3rd in 1918, so he spent the rest of the war in hospital.