Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Memorials

JackieT

Thank you for all those thoughts which give me quite a few  things to consider and pursue. I believe the building was used for some other purpose after 1995, but I don’t know what, I’ll try and find out. As the boards were in the interior of the church I don’t think they were huge. I’ll have to check the size which I believe is on the IWM site. I think the boards were removed from the church in 1995 or not long after that because my uncle (who worshipped there for many years until he moved away from the area), was trying to locate their whereabouts in the year 2000. I hadn’t thought of the British Legion, but that’s a possibility.

21 hours ago, JackieT said:

Thank you for all those thoughts which give me quite a few  things to consider and pursue. I believe the building was used for some other purpose after 1995, but I don’t know what, I’ll try and find out. As the boards were in the interior of the church I don’t think they were huge. I’ll have to check the size which I believe is on the IWM site. I think the boards were removed from the church in 1995 or not long after that because my uncle (who worshipped there for many years until he moved away from the area), was trying to locate their whereabouts in the year 2000. I hadn’t thought of the British Legion, but that’s a possibility.

I think because they were removed in 1995 is encouraging and it is most likely that they are somewhere and have not been destroyed.

I had another thought based on the "progress" of war memorials in local churches. Is it possible that they were moved to another church which has since been closed or united with another and the memorials have been moved on. I know of a set of war memorials which have been "moved on" three times since the mid 1950s (including twice since the mid 1980s) because of unions.

RM