Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity of Officer please ?

flintman

E5CACC42-5522-406E-A8DB-8770A49841A3.jpeg.3c969aadc9e1f29928eaf3169b030f5e.jpegHello Forum Members,

I have attached a Photo of an unnamed Officer.  
I need to identify him. I realise it’s a “long shot” but someone may be able to put a name to him.  ?

I know he was in the Lancashire Fusiliers from July 1916 - September 1916. (possibly 13th Battalion!?) He wears a Fusilier cap badge during this period.

I do not know anything else about his service history. 

Then he appears to have transferred to the RAMC and was at RIPON Camp in October 1916. He wears the RAMC cap badge  

This much I know. 

Other than the above information I have no clue to his identity and i would greatly appreciate any help regarding his name ??  
Thank you to all who have reviewed and considered my request. 
Clive

Apologies if you end up with any other photos. Had some difficulties and decided to just attach one photo  

3 minutes ago, flintman said:

E5CACC42-5522-406E-A8DB-8770A49841A3.jpeg.3c969aadc9e1f29928eaf3169b030f5e.jpegHello Forum Members,

I have attached a Photo of an unnamed Officer.  
I need to identify him. I realise it’s a “long shot” but someone may be able to put a name to him.  ?

I know he was in the Lancashire Fusiliers from July 1916 - September 1916. (possibly 13th Battalion!?) He wears a Fusilier cap badge during this period.

Then he appears to have transferred to the RAMC and was at RIPON Camp in October 1916. He wears the RAMC cap badge  

This much I know. 

Other than the above information I have no clue to his identity and i would greatly appreciate any help regarding his name ??  
Thank you to all who have reviewed and considered my request. 
Clive

Apologies if you end up with any other photos. Had some difficulties and decided to just attach one photo  

Best bet is to check the monthly Army List for the battalion and see who disappeared, and then see if that ties in with a RAMC man.

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/120379498

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

He appears to be wearing a RAMC cap badge in that particular photo, although it’s too blurred to be 100% positive.  His rank is [full] lieutenant.  I enclose images of collar badges to assist with the ID.

47D0989D-F600-4A8E-A3B1-19C3F7EA6EAC.jpeg

5BD3595B-BB8E-4223-962D-929B384F7F74.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The OP said

"I know he was in the Lancashire Fusiliers from July 1916 - September 1916. (possibly 13th Battalion!?) He wears a Fusilier cap badge during this period.

Then he appears to have transferred to the RAMC and was at RIPON Camp in October 1916. He wears the RAMC cap badge  "

I think it would help us to know how you got that information without his name

• 1 month later...

I have a photo album in which he is shown in uniform as per photo. I believe he may have compiled the album. 
the second section includes his time spend at Ripon Camp as I believe RAMC. He simply refers to himself as “myself” under his own photos. 
The dates he uses separate his service periods with these two regiments. 
I did ask a researcher to visit Kew to look at those officers with 13th Lancs Fusiliers who went into RAMC but he couldn’t identify any one who made that transfer. He unfortunately passed away but he was experienced and I trust his advice.

I am now left with only visual identification hence my “last hope” thread. I may visit the Welcome Institute Records in London where I believe they have RAMC records. (I am not sure about this yet but have scribbled it down as a possible way of identifying him) He has quite a distinctive face and I am sure I will recognise him in another photo. 
Thanks for the badge photos and all who have looked at this thread. 
Clive 

i

1 minute ago, flintman said:

I may visit the Welcome Institute Records in London where I believe they have RAMC records. (I am not sure about this yet but have scribbled it down as a possible way of identifying him)

They do. Some of the RAMC files are online in their archives.

Craig

Hi Craig

Thanks for your reply. 
Viewing named RAMC Officer photos/ Groups from say Sept. 1916-1918 is the only real chance of success I think - I don’t know if he became a casualty so that might shorten the process. 

Unless the National Archives list officers transferring into the RAMC from other regiments (in this case Lancs Fusiliers) I can’t see how their records can help. 
I will look and see but have no idea on what to search at this point. 
 Thanks again. 
Clive 

1 hour ago, flintman said:

Hi Craig

Thanks for your reply. 
Viewing named RAMC Officer photos/ Groups from say Sept. 1916-1918 is the only real chance of success I think - I don’t know if he became a casualty so that might shorten the process. 

Unless the National Archives list officers transferring into the RAMC from other regiments (in this case Lancs Fusiliers) I can’t see how their records can help. 
I will look and see but have no idea on what to search at this point. 
 Thanks again. 
Clive 

His transfer would have been published in the London Gazette.  It was obligatory to do so.  That would give you definitive evidence of the precise dates concerned.

I don’t have a name so I guess I need

to check all/any Officers transferring 

from Lancs to RAMC from the date

range identified in my album and he will 

be amongst them or of course the only one. (Hopefully)

I will get onto that tomorrow but do you know off hand which search detail will be  best to use ? .
Ie “ Officer Transfer”  or by battalion ie outgoing one would be “Lancashire Fusiliers” (or whatever) annd incoming RAMC ? 

Any tips appreciated if you know your way around this site - I don’t use it very often but I know it’s quite sensitive ! 
No matter and no need to respond if you are not able to easily offer a tip - I will get onto it tomorrow and will post any developments as they occur  

Thanks again - Clive 

2 hours ago, flintman said:

I don’t have a name so I guess I need

to check all/any Officers transferring 

from Lancs to RAMC from the date

range identified in my album and he will 

be amongst them or of course the only one. (Hopefully)

I will get onto that tomorrow but do you know off hand which search detail will be  best to use ? .
Ie “ Officer Transfer”  or by battalion ie outgoing one would be “Lancashire Fusiliers” (or whatever) annd incoming RAMC ? 

Any tips appreciated if you know your way around this site - I don’t use it very often but I know it’s quite sensitive ! 
No matter and no need to respond if you are not able to easily offer a tip - I will get onto it tomorrow and will post any developments as they occur  

Thanks again - Clive 

I’m not an expert on searching of that nature Clive, but there are several superb genealogical detectives in the forum who can advise on searching the London Gazette.  Good luck.