Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Appeal for relatives - 7/9/21

JasonMc

https://www.cwgc.org/our-work/news/appeal-for-relatives-7-september-2021/

A few are WW2 but the majority of the 70 or so newly identified burials are WW1 and are having headstones produced.

Hi Jason

Could I suggest going onto Ancestry Military Records for instance soldiers effects, type in the casualties name for example; Cpl Smith A, service number, Battalion, Regiment and date of death when you get a result look on the right side of the page at Others researching this individual. There may be someone else possibly family members who have done a family tree on this individual. It has worked for me on a few occasions. Try it and see.

Good Luck

Regards

Andy Pugh          

CWGC have only recently gained permission to install headstones. Not sure of the detail.

Hi Jason

I have managed to track down a relatives of one of the casualties Pte 4214 William Clark and he is going to contact the Commonwealth War Graves to obtain more information. I will try and dig out some other relatives of others if I can. This is a strange case because his medal roll shows that he was discharged on the 07/03/1918, no longer physically fit? Is anybody else on the forum involved in this. Could I ask is his service number a Irish Guards number, because he appears to have served with an Irish Unit.

Regards

Andy

12 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi Jason

I have managed to track down a relatives of one of the casualties Pte 4214 William Clark and he is going to contact the Commonwealth War Graves to obtain more information. I will try and dig out some other relatives of others if I can. This is a strange case because his medal roll shows that he was discharged on the 07/03/1918, no longer physically fit? Is anybody else on the forum involved in this. Could I ask is his service number a Irish Guards number, because he appears to have served with an Irish Unit.

Regards

Andy

That's great work Andy. Well done. I don't know if anyone else is following up on any tbh. My own interest is the Inniskillings so I'd just really been looking at 2Lt Christopher Clark.

But I posted the link up here in the hope that a few others would see it and maybe spot someone in their own Regiments of interest as would be great if the forum members could point a few families to the CWGC. Especially in the cases where possibly a headstone can only be produced when a family member is found.

Looking at Pte William Clark medal index card I see that he first entered in the Balkans in 1915. Then is on the Silver War Badge list and discharged on the 7th March 1918 and was in the R. Irish Rifles.

I haven't had a chance to look the medal rolls etc but I'd wonder if he was in the 6th Btn of these.

They deployed to Greece in June 1915 and were disbanded in May 1918.

I'd presume he must have picked up a few injuries by this point to be discharged and not transferred to the ASC etc.

Likely he then died of these wounds afterwards.

If the relative hasn't gotten much research on this man I'm happy to have a look and try find out some more but don't want to repeat the work it it's already done!

22 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi Jason

Regards

Andy

He died of TB contracted in service so his discharge was likely due to the effects of the TB.
image.png
https://www.fold3.com/image/668443016?terms=clark,4214

Craig

HI

Just thought I would let you know that I have found and been in contact with some family members of the nurse on the list. Staff Nurse Berta Sabina Vinter who served with the Territorial Force Nursing Service in the 2nd London General Hospital London during ww1.She died on the 30/05/1918 and is buried in Camberwell Old Cemetery. I have asked them to contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. I wonder how she died? 

Regards

Andy      

• 2 weeks later...

Andy - According to the GRO she died of endocarditis - bacteria entering the blood stream and attacking the heart. She had it for at least a month before she died. Her sister was with her when she died. Bertha was 42 when she died.

Simon

Edited by Simon Birch