Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Use of Croquet as therapy for shell shock

Old trousers

Chums,

I’ve recently come across photos of groups of soldiers playing improvised games of croquet, both on active service and back in the UK. 

The tabs suggest that it is being used as a therapy for shell shock. 

Could anyone recommend where I could pursue research on this fascinating aspect of WW1 medical treatment ? 

Thanks in advance 

Paul 

Croquet is sometimes seen as a gentle game for Victorian young ladies, often in vicarage gardens. The reality is that it is one of the most mentally vicious of sports, as many who have played it can testify!

I once had a flat in a theological college, and one of the perks was the use of their croquet lawn during the vacations, when I was the only resident student. I used it so much that the gardener sometimes used to have to mow it round me.

Ron

A quick search of the Australian newspaper archives (trove.nla.gov.au) suggests that doctors at the time believed that that simple work and outdoor leisure activities usefully occupied both the body and mind. Work that was too mechanical was considered dangerous in the sense that it allowed a wounded man too much time for "dwelling on his gruesome past." 

The article "Treatment of Shell Shock" , published on 31 January 1919 in The Swan Express of Western Australia, details the proposal of an Australian doctor for setting up a convalescent soldiers' home there. He says that his plan draws on knowledge of treatment from Britain. "Games are of value....For the cases sufficiently recovered a small gymnasium, a cricket pitch, tennis court, croquet lawn, and bowling green would be so valuable that they might be included under the heading of necessities. Do not allow this list to mislead you into believing that this is a home for games—a sort of training ground for would-be sports. It will certainly be a training ground,but its one and only object will be to equip a man as thoroughly and quickly as possible with a sound mind in a sound body, and so enable him to take his rightful place in the community as a useful contented citizen."

Also of interest may be the article "War Hysteria and the Wonders of Psychotherapy" from 1920 which talks about the medical classification of shell shock and ways to treat it. There is a brief mention of a hospital with a croquet lawn and other sporting facilities.

It doesn't seem to me that croquet per se was considered a treatment. Presumably, playing cricket or lawn bowling or billiards would have a similar effect. Rather croquet and other games provided physical exercise and mental distraction, which were both considered necessary for a man to properly recover.

Edited by knittinganddeath