Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wind Farms on the Somme

healdav

I have just been reading a story that there is to be a wind farm at the Villers Bretonneux cemetery.

Is this true?

• Admin

A genuine question, why do people get so upset about wind farms on the Somme in particular? These photos show the cemeteries at Neuville-Bourjonval and Orival Wood, the Orival  Wood was one of a string that were being erected on my last visit in November 2019. No one seems to complain about these, presumably because not on the Somme?

408ECF55-E0C6-4E5A-AE7E-3479D1EB7DFB.jpeg

0D7267D8-7E84-43E2-891A-F79419F70EC9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

A genuine question, why do people get so upset about wind farms on the Somme in particular? These photos show the cemeteries at Neuville-Bourjonval and Orival Wood, the Orival  Wood was one of a string that were being erected on my last visit in November 2019. No one seems to complain about these, presumably because not on the Somme?

408ECF55-E0C6-4E5A-AE7E-3479D1EB7DFB.jpeg

0D7267D8-7E84-43E2-891A-F79419F70EC9.jpeg

I'm not worked up about it, but on Facebook someone has started a story that makes it sound as though they are being put up in the cemetery!

In fact, a closer reading of the story is that they are being put up some 5 miles away!

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

why do people get so upset about wind farms

Michelle, I think your first photo in that post admirably explains why some of us do - whether it is on the Somme or anywhere else for that matter.  Funnily enough this morning on my way via Maurepas to my covid test in Combles, I was admiring how much the windmills dominate Combles.  Each to their own .....

Life has to move on, like it or not. The cemeteries are well tended and respect is shown.  I can't see for the life me how this harms anything. Healdav is quite right about Fb, which is a source of much nonsense. 

TR