Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Role of stewardess in 1915

Kitty

Hello. This is my first post and I am not at all knowledgable about  anything military. I have found a lady in my husband's extended tree who received medals after WW1. Subsequently I learned, from the National Maritime Museum site, that she had been a stewardess on the Mongolia in 1915 and that had been her previous ship, too. She survived the war but I am curious about the purpose of the ship and her role. If anyone would give me any information, it would be welcome. Thank you.

Kitty,

Welcome to the forum.

If you can provide your lady's name, and anything elso you know, like place and date of birth, then this will help us.

The 'Mongolia' was a 4936 tons steamship, registered in Greenock in 1903.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hello. Her name was Catherine Mary/ Maria Fricker born 1864 Rotherhithe. She is with her family in 1891 but was widowed and I have 'lost' her after that. I think she died in Camberwell in 1930, not in the war. Her son is C W W Fricker who has been referred to on this site. Thank you, Alf.

A 9,505 GT British passenger and cargo liner of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O).  MONGOLIA, 9,505grt, defensively armed, mined and sunk 24 June 1917, 50 miles S by W from Bombay 24 lives lost.

She is listed as one of six stewardesses in early 1915 in the NMM Crew List -  https://1915crewlists.rmg.co.uk/document/121581

The log of HMS JUPITER -  https://naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-01-HMS_Jupiter.htm  - records several movements of SS MONGOLIA in 1916. She seems to have been running between UK and Port Said at this time.

Her Mercantile Marine Medal/British War Medal card is here -  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8015544

Edited by horatio2

Thank you Horatio. Very interesting to know where she may have gone! Considering she had been a butcher's wife from Deptford, I don't suppose she foresaw that! I had seen the medal card and crew list but was interested to know more, so thanks.

That's very interesting. I will have to look into it. I thought she died in 1930 but don't have the certificate so could be wrong. I will look tomorrow as I believe I have her christening.Thank you.

In 1920 Mrs Catherine Mary Fricker was residing at 73 Walworth Road SE17

(source WFA pension docs)

Regards Ray

Another apparently later pension card for her son CWW Fricker, 225412, at WFA/Fold3 has her address as: 16 Church Street, Camberwell, SE [possibly c. Sep. 1929]

:-) M

Hello, thanks for so many answers.

Thanks, Alf but I think Catherine was born on 13 May 1864. The Kate you found had been married to a John and had different children.

Raysearching, I do believe this is her, thanks.

Matlock1418, I think you are right. This ties up with her death registration in Camberwell in 1930.

I am curious as to what the Mongolia was doing on its travels and what Catherine actually did as a stewardess. Would she have served food, etc?

Horatio, I don't know if you can see her medal card but there is an address at Kensington Gardens on there. I read it as Leacroft but can't locate it so I suspect I am misreading.If you have an opinion, I would be interested, thanks.

I cannot read the card clearly online but, given her other addresses in south London, perhaps I read Kennington, rather than Kensington. it is possible that the address on the card no longer exists. The closest I can find is Leacroft Avenue, Wandsworth

Kitty,

This screenshot from the Dundee Courier of 4th September 1915 states that there were Matrons for young women travelling alone, and Stewardesses for women and children. It also shows details of Mongolia's next sailing.

Image courtesey of Findmypast.

Regards,

Alf McM

Screenshot 2021-09-05 at 18-30-30 The British Newspaper Archive findmypast co uk.png

Kitty,

This book may be of interest;-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titanic-Survivor-Discovered-Britannic-2004-09-01/dp/B01FIWMGLK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1FA0T02DA825J&dchild=1&keywords=titanic+survivor+violet+jessop&qid=1630866037&s=books&sprefix=TITANIC+SURVIVOR%2Caps%2C164&sr=1-2

Violet was a Stewardess aboard the Titanic, and the book also describes her service on other ships.

Regards,

Alf McM